transition era board on instagram

1968 single fin, 7’ 8" x 23 1/2 x 3

I’m curious, how much are the sellers trying to get for it?

Not for sale. Somebody born the same year it was made just bought it, and was showing it off on instagram. I thought it was a nice looking board, and a pretty cool find, and thought some of the swaylocks folks might enjoy seeing it too.

I got permission to copy the photos and post them over here.

Bill - I had asked you about this board a while back. 

You said pinlines were original. 

Based on the serial # any way to nail down an exact year? 68/69 my guess. 

Just goes to show the creative use of longboard blanks in inventory.

On the very edge of the best times ever…

A 7’8" Superlight? 1969, or possibly early 1970.

Late 1968,or early 1969.     I left Hansen to form SURF SYSTEMS, in May of 1969.     I suspect that the board was made for one of the factory guys.      The fin bolt area, on the deck, has a black resin circle, which was a custom touch.     All production boards got the’‘Hansen Baby Blue’’ paper circle, in the bolt location.    The surprising thing, to me, is that I shaped that board fifty years ago!      Where the hell did the time go?   

Whats up with the stringer?

Crazy to think 50 years. 

Great to know it’s still going, the new owner is really enjoying it. (He got it for his 50th birthday) 

Looks like a standard 3/4 length stringer. 

Seems as though that transition period made a big push for light weight - stringers got real thin and sometimes only 3/4 of the board haha

Wow, I love that outline. 

It’s also pretty cool that the board was so well built that it can still be enjoyed 50 years later.

I have a longboard with the same stringered blank.  Making use of what the owner Don Hansen had in stock.  I never completely understood the reasoning behind that center stringer.  A lot of the longboards at the end of that era were pretty refined.  Pinched rails or at least more refined rails and flexy noses.  The greatest example being the AAA by Surfboards Hawaii. On this blank the two rail stringers eliminate the possibility of “Flex” and the weight difference with the two rail stringers added is hardly detectable.  The only board it would be lighter than would be a Phil or a Hynson with three stringers.  Still using standard weight foam and Volan, wood stringers etc.  the board looks hardly used so that would be the reason it has stood up so well over fifty years.  Although Hansen’s Glasser whoever he or they were must have been good.  I’m making that assumption based on how many Hansen’s I have seen over the years.  Lots!

I believe the side stringers on the orange board are glue lines. 

CORRECT.

Yup.  Gonna drag mine out tonight and see what it is.

Pinched rails or at least more refined rails and flexy noses

Flexy noses, curious, how did these ride?

Flex in the nose, was mostly in the imagination, of the buyer.    I shaped hundreds of those style boards, at Hansen.      They sold very well.

Interesting, I seem to remember in the displacement hull threads there was a good amount of talk about nose flex. I think they pretty much came to the same conclusion: it didn’t do much.