Twinzer Discussion:

bizzzump… this is going to be a twinzer - albeit a keel with canard…

twinzertwinzer

by far my favourite set up next to a std twin fin…

Would love to get an original from Wil at some point, but realize that may never happen…

Rich’s own Shaked/Mental twinzer set up for a mabile 6’6.

this thread’s been percolating for a whillllllleeeeeeee…

Updated news!

I see Will!

He’s here in S Cruz. Been here for a 6 weeks or so (at least that’s the first I saw him and we talked. I had seen him at Pipes a 1/2 year before that and he said he was heading back north to SC.

Not sure if he’s a Sways’er, but I’ll give him a heads up that there’s “been talk” of his design over the last few years here on Sways.

I KNOW he’s been thinkning about shaping some boards and if any of you’all want one, I’ll see if he can supply.

He IS a great talker and discusser of designs and the way it all works. wonderful person, great shaper.

double post…

well, i’d love one! I’m planning a trip to do some work out that way in the spring, so could pick it up, or whatever works for him. Stoked!

shoot me pm if it does materialize

ohhh la la!

Ah, a discussion about proper boards ; ) Finished my first Twinzer a couple of months ago (5'7 18.5 2.5). First time I took it out, I thought it sucked and was going to paddle in and get my thruster, but then it accelerated unusually. Haven't ridden anything else since, surfed it in everything from dross to divine. Now wondering how come it was that I used to think anyone who didn't ride a thruster was either a fossil, a kook, a hippy or some combination of. My Twinzer gravitates to the high-line, have to really crank it to get the fins to slide out, doesn't decelerate so easily. Basically it is just so fast, made so many tubes I wouldn't normally have made - what more could anyone want from a board? Wierd thing, I noticed that once you've started paddling in, you can't pull back like you can with a thruster, to me this suggests some freaky forces going on that I don't understand but it's all good, sometimes I even make them.

https://swaylocks7stage.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/DSCN1069.jpg

Robb,

we need more pics of your board !!

Hey guys, never surfed a twinzer. I had a supercharged keel fish. Once i put them on, i never took them off, just seemed much faster, but more loose without being unstable.

Can you guys post fin positions and toe and cant's too please?? Are the front fins more toe'd and canted??

Cheers, some great boards here

Hey beeeerie

trouble brewing on this thread  ................

Check this one out .... Twinzer I put  together for Indo .... hey toaster if your dialled in you remember this baby over their ??

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/indo-probox-twinzer

Beerieeee I've got heaps of stuff on Twinzer, from Jobson settings to Shipman, (RIP) settings

Send me  your PM and I'll suit you up

W

PS Toaster, good to catch up ..... PM me !!!

Hey Mark

Check your PM

W

Rich,

I just found these on the Santa Cruz Board Builders Guild.

Beautiful as always! I know that you have been refining these for a while, please tell us about them?

Best wishes, Juan

https://swaylocks7stage.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/Picture+100-747714.jpg

Wow.  I’d really like to see a few words on that one.  

do want!

OK, here’s the rant on the Scrambler and it’s fins:

Nick Plandrani (Source Surfboards) and I have been collaborating on board and fin design for a while now. We’ve come up with some grand ideas. We’ve got some super ones in the oven too. The green Scrambler pictured above on this thread.is the most popular one. It is a complilaton of several board configurations and the fins on it are an extension of what’s going on with the fins on a bonefish along with incorporating the very necessary things a canard does for fin performance. NIck could explain how the board shape evolved better than I but suffice it to say that Greenough’s Velo, the traditional Keel Fin fish, and the rounded bottom of an Andreini style hull surfboard all figure into how it’s configured. The board started as a glass-on twin fin with the fin template that Nick asked me to create for the board. I gave it an international flair and called it “Quilha”. After having a few of the better surfers here at the point ride it and getting some grand feedback and photos, Nick and I had another discussion on developing it to a wholenothalevel. We decided that flexiblity and adding canards (Warp template) to the fin set-up were the key to souping it up. We went to stringerless EPS-Epoxy construction for the board and FCS Fussion plugs so we could place the fin tabs at the very front of the base cord of the fins. Now both the board and the fins could contourt with the turning radius and give this very short board (5’2" was where we started} the kind of engagement and driving power we were looking for. Putting the tabs up front also elimated that bothersome kelp catching some prominate with FCS fins. Wil Jobson’s twinzer theory was also incorporated but moditified to give the board lots of release and tremendous straightline speed. The fin templates are very close to the pectoral and anal fins of a bonefish. Any angler worth his salt will attest to the straightaway speed and staying power of thius small and most sought after gamefish. The fin outlines were tweeked and resized to produce the kind of performance we were looking for. The move to flexibility (notice how the fins are held off the board surface to keep them free) amped up board performance big time taking the keelfin slide out of the picture. The board has since its conception been built at many lengths and some surfers still prefer the old glass-on fin approach. Finally, Greenough’s Velo is IMHO the single most progressive surfcraft every built. The bottom contours of the Scramble are in many ways reminiscent of it, but with helical foiled fins on the rails the drive factor is amplified. Simmons has his place int the picture too. After all he did put fins on the rails and get them out of the middle before anyone else. With the tortion factor swaying the picture under foot both board and fins engage and unload in and out of turns like no other board I’ve yet seen.

Ride on, Rich

Hey Rich ......

At laaaaaaaaaast you've diallled in ...... been miss'n your attendence and input old boy !!!!

Jeeeeeze almost feels like the old Swayzzzzzz again (lol) (lol)

I had a funny feeling the Twinzer thread might drag you out of hiding .... (lol)

Love the new beast and personally, thanx for the help over the years on these criters

Rich, thanks for that rant, great stuff!

I identify with your sources and inspirations, from Velo down to the careful study of the bonefish you admire. I find it fascinating that some of us choose to be inspired by nature and others admire technologically developed objects.

It is really good to see that your work with Nick is flourishing and that you can tie all the ‘threads’ together.

Have you got a short film of a Scrambler on a point wave you could post, or maybe just a couple of photos?

Sorry Juan no films, maybe someday, but if you go to sourcesurfboards.com and hit the home page repeatedly you see photos of the first Scrambler build and a two photos of Noi Kaulukukui carrying the board and one cutting back on it. The other shot of a goofy foot surfer comming of the top on big left is of Kevin Miske on my 6’8" Translator (TRADUTTORE) at cloud break with a twinzer set-up on it. The board has similarities to the Scrambler but is a complete departure from it in other ways.

With regard to natural inspiration. It has been my experiance that all the great inventions of man are immitations of nature. She clearly has the greatest power and purpose. Nature does what works. She has her path on this planet. On another sphere somewhere I’m sure the same path has gone many different direction than it has here.

This life we know  ~ universal and eternal.

Back to working on fly gear ~ tomorrow looks like a prime day to wet and line in the surf ~ gotta get strong so I can surf again. The process continues~

Tight Lines, Rich

chee huu