Twinzer Discussion:

I have kept a couple of photos of the Translator at Cloudbreak from back when…

And one photo of it’s Twinzer fins…

Yo Knowaloha,

That Scrambler with the split tail we call a John Scrambler. The one without the split we call a full bodied Scrambler.

The fins on the first green board with a full tail above are from a poly/E-glass panel.

The second one with the split tail is froma epoxy/E-glass/carbon panel.This John-Scrambler is Nick’s personal board.

The carbon panels are more expensive to do but they are IHMO the best composite fin construction I’ve done to date.

Mahalo, Rich

epoxy / E-glass / carbon ??

now that sounds like a good time !

with the SC bieng up in Santa Cruz this spring we might be able to see more than 1 twinzer in a sea of boards .

check photo 10 of the slide show !!!

http://blog.cisurfboards.com/2010/12/05/iphone-diaries-a-peek-into-the-experimental-realm/

Seeing that pic of the Supercharged MTF made me look back for info on Rusty’s C-5 as a mass-market push of the concept.

I found a really interesting post from Rusty on the concept:

http://rusty.com/us/blog/2009/05/26/faq-what-happened-to-the-c-5-configuration/

It had this really good visual explanation of what the Twinzer/Supercharger setup is doing to the flow on the main fin:

Notice the cleaner flow even at a higher AOA (25 dirty vs. 31 clean)

But like JohnMellor mentioned on the very first page of this thread, I wonder how much of this translates from air to water. Notice how small the slat is in air to provide such a significant improvement. Does that mean in water it could be even smaller since the density is so much higher? You get back to something like Herb’s Supercharger setup or even considerably smaller.

Never ridden a twinzer but the concept could just as easily be translated to a thruster or quad without having to convert to surfing a twin to get the benefits of improved flow over the fins.

So what’s up with this combo?  Taller high aspect canard.  Where does the clean-up effect of the Superchargers/C5 canards leave off and the slot effect start kicking in?  

Made this as my first twinzer a couple of months ago...single through to deep double 6'"x22"x2 1/2". Surfed it a handful of times and it's a beauty - feels real repsonsive and very fast. Struck me after making it that due to the positioning of the front fin plugs I could also use it with keels....bit of a breakthrough as I usually use speeddialer quad setup and the placement I use on those wouldn't really work for the keels.

Cheers

Rich

www.thirdshade.com

Rich ....

Looks like a keeper ..... good work !!!

Love your site as well ...

Good stuff old mate

W

Have I got a Twinzer for you!

(It’s on Swaylocks Surfshop, sorry for re-posting here but it seemed like a discussion of Twinzers would be the perfect venue.)

This was an impulse buy, or maybe a midlife crisis thing? VERY fast and loose, and certainly very visible! The fact that it was shaped by Larmo was a major factor. Or maybe I fantasized that I could manage to ride a very eclectic quiver like Rasta, Machado, or Tyler Warren? ( LOL! NOT!)

Well, I discovered - definitively - that MY skills progress best by sticking to** one** type of board. I love my single fin displacement hulls - obviously about as opposite from a Twinzer as you can get! (I know, what was I thinking?)

So now, my expensive life lesson can be your sweet deal on what I hope will be YOUR magic board. It’s at Surfy Surfy in Leucadia. $450 and close to new condition, with only a few minor heel dents. 8’2" x 22" x 3". Check it out!

from the Sacred craft , shaped by WIL

in the rocking fig surf shop i got to see a used 6-7 , WOW

new toy

How do these feel relative to a quad?

give me a few more surfs on this and will be able to put in to words better .

so far the instant speed and tight turns is the biggest separation i am feeling .  

got some more pics for the twinzer heads :slight_smile:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos my mini SIMM twinzer

So how does it go, mate?

first one was awesome

2 found me yesterday :slight_smile: , getting wet soon .

Yo A2tail,

How does the Simmons Twinzer perform?

Aloha, Rich

It is sk fast and skatey with the pulled in tail it has a decent manuverablity i use futures but fcs has a mean twinzer fin setup it’s a Brian Wynn custom he has made me a few boards all awesome. It’s single to double concave beveled rails 5’10 x 22 1/2 x 2 3/4. Really nice board anything from knee to hh. Super lose and easy turns I got it as a long board alternative. I’m thinking of making my own as my next project but a little shorter maybe 5’6 x 24 x 2 7/8 and going hull with it. Idk though.

Posted this on the surfermag site:

Put in the 4 Way plugs so that I can change fore/aft, cant, and toe in. I’m having trouble getting a tight fit with the Futures canards b/c the plugs take a bit wider fins. Thinking I might need to add some resin to the plug discs so that they fit better. That way, I can run Herb’s superchargers, too. 

Adam from 4 Way loaned me his jig. Easy install. Cool fin system.