What are you working on? Post your current project here.

waiting to glass this 6’4" 5 fin"er

Quote:

Here’s my latest and greatest project. It’s an egg-shape.

There’s just something about the profile, the curves are so nice. I really like the hips.

I’ve never done anything like it before and so far has been the most rewarding for sure. I’m learning alot. Didn’t really find much answers to my questions in the archives however…

I’m voting this as post of the year.

Forget the archives, PM me: I’ve done 5 of those.

Congratulations to both of you. Keep up the good work.

HA…thanks Balsa…and watch out, you’re inbox maybe flooded come September.

=)

Beerfan…

Practice makes perfect, right?

i’ve done two of those. one 18 months ago and one 3 months ago. i would suggest more time and practice between because doing the two that close together puts a bit of a damper on the practicing!

now for my current project:

i picked up a clearance perimeter stringer blank from a gent selling them on this site. took it out and cleaned it up yesterday… talk about nose rocker! max board length could be 6’0, but i’m looking more at a 5’10, but the nose rocker is nearly 6"… it seems a bit much. after some searches on here, can’t really find an answer.

opinions?

thanks

jp

Practice definately makes perfect, although i have a similar dilema to J.P!!!. Good luck with it mate.

Better get back on topic now!. Im a serial tinkerer, i keep modifying til im totally satisfied with the shape, so these 2 boards have had more than one mod. THe 6’5’’ nugget inspired shape has had the tail pulled in a bit to 16 1/8’‘, and the 6’4’’ egg/disc started as a 6’11’’ round pin egg, then it was a 6’6’’ mod fish, now its a 6’4’’ egg/disc.

Cheers.

we just started out . . heres our first sticks

5’2"x22"x3"

5’10"x20 1/2"x2 1/2"

5’8"x20 1/2"x2"

5’2"x21"x2 1/3"

5’8"x21"x2 1/4"

5’9"x20 1/2"x2 1/2"

Stoked seeing all the talent on this site. First post… Username is for my 4 month old boy…Koa, hence the name. Here is a Koa wood fin for my 7’6 with a FCS thruster setup, this is the centre fin. Bought the wood on a trip to Maui a few years back …it’s getting harder to find… last year couldn’t buy anything nobody wants to sell it. I’ll make the 2 other fins in a few weeks but wanted to get the hard one out of the way. Tried to get some good photos to show the foil but they sucked. So trust me the foil is sweet.:wink: Resin with fiberglass strand edge. No cloth. Needs a bit of a polish. Feedback appreciated. Next one will be redwood and balsa with a Koa stringer or 2.

after the design workshop I will be glassing this up

11 foot retro gun

Working on my first real shaping attempt

10’8"Y Classic Normal Rocker Spec 3 stringer 1/2" center stick.

In response to Kensurf…

I don’t chase big waves but you might want to network with some of the San Diego guys when you get that board done…

Resinhead ,Keith ,Lee ,Surf4fins,and MarkSSD are all big wave guys…I’ve seen some live action ,seen some photos…There’s a RED Keith Mellville gun sitting at Mark’s place right now…The gleam in Mark’s eye waiting for next winter…

Share the stoke!

Ray

stingray

its for this guy

6’2’’ x 19 1/4’’ double wing quad

Heres a shot of the deck, so far got the hot coat on ,no pinlines yet

11" retro gun

By mere chance I acquired some genetic material (see encased hair in the rear fin). So I´m currently

in the process of extracting the genetic code and clone some of the best finmakers in the world…

They will then produce fins for this “better late than never” -compsand quad. For the blank I used eps offcuts, glued together

with foaming pu glue. Worked well and the glue lines did not stiffen the blank too much. Cork/ balsa rails and 3/32" balsa skins.

The board´s still missing it´s poplar tailblock and some glass.

Very nice. quite a challenge for your “first real” shaping. You learn fast.

I bought a sheet of Pu Foam that is 8’x4’ and 6" thick I initially intended to make a massive SUP board out of it but now I am questioning whether or not it is a practical idea. I will be forced to glue several pieces of foam together and I’m not sure if it is worth it when I can buy a blank all glued up for me. Does anyone have any input for me?

9’8" HP longboard…epoxy over 1.5 lb eps, birch fins…rides nice…super light, super strong…but (as you can see) is too friggin’ bright!

this is a GREAT thread , ray !

THANKS !

More like the`sways of old when people posted shots of their boards

needless to say , i’m working on a few fin panels

and my 7’ single fin will soon be butchered into a 6’5 widowmaker

from a pin to a squaretail from a pinny nose to a more rounded eggy / fishy nose .

if it doesn’t work , it will then be stripped of glass and thinned and reshaped .

in the meantime , i still have the 6’4 thruster blank , awaiting rail shaping …

photos are at present on my smart media card .... to be continued .... 

and tomorrow , swell and mates permitting , i hope to do some surf videoing again …daz on his` firewire and noddy on his homemade eps epoxy board [who knows, perhaps i can get him to speak about it , too ?]

ben

a little fish… glossed but not polished yet… (sorry for the low res pic)