what is it with all these millennials?

…not a rant but now I have plenty of time to check the virtual ¿? space that is these social networks; so seems that the trendy stuff is to at some point few years back had been in the right place, some luck, some money and the right connections and you invent or create a a way to promote your self invented career as a " fine shaper"

Based and helped by the machine and some top quality glassing factory. So these fellas, there are at least 5 but possibly 10, out of California and Aussie land touring around several destination, “shaping”, mostly out dated designs but now with an increasing % of modern designs included HP shortboards sell an image of long time hand shaper, old school, neo hippie, urban modern style that seems is “big in Japan”.

The point is: is this the alternative to these other guys in the parallel world that is the pro circuit boards? Of course with these all machined boards and marketing “shapers”?

I mean, what will occurs with this labor if is all fake? all fake hype BUT NOBODY say anything in the industry because there s a LOT of work in the glassing factories plus those Euro factories like Pukas, Uwl, etc have always a tour with a few of these guys (included some well known hand shapers that do not hand shape anymore…but act, perform to have the check…)

There s no hope this way.

But there’s money to be made by cobbling together surf cred through location, association and cheap labour.

The future is the shaper with no tools. The Anti-Sway.

Shit is a joke. there are shapers that regularlly get posted on that one instagram page we all know, who are nothing more than graphic designers. hipster trash. 

What Instagram page is that ?

If anyone can log-on, download and instantly collect your Bitcoins that’s a better job than any I’ve had.

With most boards being much the same, their real job seems to be Self Promotion more than actual work. They’re selling hype.

Well that’s life . You wanna pull the ladder up or do you think that young people should be able to have a turn at making money . Business is business . I for one welcome the changes .  No one owes any one a living . Business is about marketing and selling your self .  To do that you need to listen to what your customer wants . Treat them politely and with respect . Bring joy to them from endorphin rush of spending money 

…treat them politely and with respect etc, well that s not what I see with what I mentioned. No Ethic at all, first.

Again, the industry is quiet and in silence due to all the glassing factories are working good so keep on with the farse.

Glad to see someone talking words of wisdom.

Self promotion of people with no (or a very limited) experience is reaching heights that were never reached in the past. Everyday I see guys or girls who have more or less successfully shaped one or two boards set up shop and advertise on social media. It’s getting ridiculous.

A few years ago, a girl shaping in California posted on FB about how she was coming to France for holidays and how she would be taking orders from a happy few people while she was there; A few days before, she had told the whole world about just shaping her 100th board. One hundred boards! I always heard that you are nobody in this industry as long as you have not shaped 1000, and that’s a minimum. And here comes Miss California with her 100 boards shaped (and glassed by a glassing factory, of course), taking a few limited orders as if she was one of the big names in the industry… During her stay, she posted about a guy ordering a longboard from her: “I’m a bit nervous because I never shaped a longboard before, that will be a first.” And that dumbass of a guy orders a longboard from someone who never shaped one, just because she comes from California. Makes me sick.

One of my good friends is an excellent shaper with more than 20 years hand-shaping (and glassing) experience. For a number of years, he’s been working for Pukas and he hardly even picks up a power planner any more except for shaping protos or something. Now, that’s OK because he paid his dues, so to speak. but he told me of a very well known guy (wouldn’t say his name, you’ll have to guess, just like me) who sells thousands of boards under his brand and who never touched a blank of foam in his life.

Seeing and hearing what’s going on makes me feel really depressed. I don’t like what the future seems to be made of.

Just understand that a good craftsman can be a lousy business man and visa versa . You have to differentiate between the two . It’s clear cut . I personally wouldn’t choose manufacturing as a business model . Outsource and focus on brand . That is better .  A young person going to business college could outsell a great craftsman . It’s just the nature of consumerism. If you Focus on a niche market  of elite surfers That’s ok . However it’s not without its risk.  Surfing has in the past been controlled by extremely selfish people . Dominating surf breaks with threats of violence and rules . Unfairness . Status . Coolness . I’m glad to see it crumble with becoming mainstream. They can’t enforce there will on 50 surfers . At some point mr cool of a surf break . Stoped being mr cool and ended up mr creepy . Intimidating young people in what is essentially a public playground  . In parallel the industry must cater for the new young people joining the sport . They are enlightened consumers with unlimited access to information and wanting to make there own choices about what and where and why . They don’t need to be force fed “ the surfing life” like we were growing up . They are free from all that surfing dogma and I for one am appreciative of this . If I wanted to sell boards I would hire a young cool business guy to do it for me 

I had to laugh when I saw the thread title, because I’ve recently started grumbling about millenials (somewhat to my own surprise).  I was sure I’d never be that cranky older guy.

However, I have to say I agree pretty much with with everything that silly Paul has said (welcome back, by the way).

On the flip side, with the release of a film about hand-shaping upon us, an enterprising builder would do well to consider setting up an operation where new enthusiasts could come and try their hand at shaping and/or glassing their own board.  I know some have tried this before with mediocre results.  The time may be right to take another stab at it.  Young adults are in love with all things artisinal.  They crave experiences more than possessions (or so the studies suggest).  Be the experienced sage who can guide them through their new experience.  There may be a viable business in it.  Just a thought.

No work permit, no paying taxes, no compensation for local businesses suffering due to the free and easy lifestyle…a quick word to the authorities and the cool millennial board shaping world traveler will find out about real life…

Weird to hear these stories, when I worked on Reunion, with a work permit, we had several random workplace visits checking legality. They never did, but you could sense they were pissed they didn’t bust someone, especially a foreigner.

…hi Cannon, seems that you are focusing this in a “business” thing. We are talking about other stuff here.

Also that business model that you are mentioning only works if you are from S California coast, as Balsa example. I lived some time in Japan and they love whatever California surf related stuff. They (also millennials) think that all that come from there is AUTHENTIC…but these guys are bringing fake; but I think that they are not doing this with a bad mood; is more like Balsa exampled with that “shaper”; out of ingenuity and that most of these people growth under all this internet hype frothing backs.

I played in a band with a millennial drummer, and the guy never ever understood that to be good at something (or to practice or develop a piece of music or even a song) you need to put time on it. There s a confusion that you see a 1 minute video clip (produced and edited) and many think that there are not work behind that.

When this drummer (a good one) saw that needed to put a bit more energy than his just add water mentality, he quit.

Is all about perception with customers. Just one sent me a clip of D Reynolds surfing several boards; almost all outdated not so functional boards and you know, this guy can surf; only 2 boards of this collection helped to his surfing.

I think it’s relative.   To someone who looks at board building as a passion or avocation the idea of a novice builder skipping the planer - going straight to the machine and selling the artisinal glass job looks like cheating.  But if you compare those social media brands with other social media brands that are built on literally nothing more than a pretty face or a fat ass then those surf brand personalities are doing a lot of hard work.  

Time will tell - literally.  Sooner or later they’re all going to hit their 35th birthday and get replaced in the social media markets by another kid whose metabolism hasn’t yet peaked and who still looks good in whatever it is the kids are wearing.  

There’s nothing special about being young - everyone has done it.  

“Johnny come lately, the new kid in town…”

Lots of wisdom here, especially about being young. IT IS a sad state of affairs that “they” don’t get it with the time it takes to do anything well, but that is their loss in the end.

…Gdaddy, when those hipsters that you mention have 50 or 60 years, they will be the super shapers; the heros in where those youngsters that you say will be inspired.

They just carved a name out of branding and they are well known around the Surfing world.

In my opinion, that is not the best for the future of this labor.

Obviously I agree with all of the above.  The main thing I’d point out is that  - given what’s happenjed over the last 30 years and projecting these trends into the future - by the time a 20-something in 2018 makes it to 40-something in 2038 all of surfing is going to be shtshow.    The asian factories will be complaining about the soul-less competition in Namibia who will still work for subsistence wages.  

Gdaddy, these hipsters aren’t in it for the long haul, as long as the money’s flowing, they’ll be around.

Once the money dries up or it gets too hard for their soft hands they’ll drift away and start another Maverick business  based on a week of experience.

I think that’s where Life Coaches emerge from.

Good to be back newschool blue 

People are naturally good with there hands and do it to the grave . And are valued members of a community Other folk are better with bullshitting and making money that way. Globalism has changed a lot of thing where the craftsman isn’t required by the community . However if you diversify to service based . That cannot be outsourced you can work till you die . The motivation is the same no what you apply your self too .i Could work on a farm . Be a foreman . Run a factory. Manage staff . Transferable skills . Manufacturing is a hard slog . If you make the choice them u have made a decision to accept all the pitfalls . Someone with good marketing skills will slay you if u don’t have a strategy. The old school of thought will only apply to customers that are programmed into that reality . 

That last line is gold.