What's the most versatile surfboard design? Aka - One board quiver.

I recall Laird Hamilton saying if he was to have only one surfboard it would be his 11’er.

Quite amazing when you consider the amount of fame he’s garnered in surfing circles with his tow in surfing.

So Swaylockians if you had to restrict yourself to just one surfboard to ride in any and all conditions what surfboard design would you choose and more importantly, why? Don’t be shy about giving dimensions and posting photos to illustrate your point.

The versatile board. The magic carpet. The go to. The single board quiver.

Could you possibly be happy on just one board?

Thinking back to when I was a grom and had just one board I happily rode it in any and everything.

I’m gonna have to agree with Laird on this one, not because he is Laird, but because 11ft just has a certain ring to it. Especially if I am allowed to have a fin quiver to go with my one board quiver.

–Ben

depending on what board I was riding at the time (long or short). But a pintail mal about 9’2 or a 7’0 shorty with a bit of meat under your chest.

Try a superboard:

The below is from www.sdsurfboard.com:

The “Superboard” was designed for the surfer that is currently riding longboards but generally does not walk or ride the nose. A large majority of the people that ride longboards right now are not noseriders but ride longboards for the superior paddling, stability, and glide while compromising turning and maneuverability because of the straighter templates and ultra-wide nose. A majority of these surfers are so use to this compromise that they don’t realize just how much more exciting surfing can be when they have a board that catches waves ridiculously easily, has the glide and trim of a longboard but surfs in the pocket with amazing speed and driving turns. Imagine how much more fun surfing is when that new ground swell arrives and you effortlessly catch the best set wave then come flying out of your first turn like you were riding a finely tuned gun but in any type of surf. Or effortlessly paddle into a nice wave and just lean in the rail on a lazy sunny afternoon on that average waist to chest high day slicing through the next section with enough speed to hit the oncoming whitewater with the power and maneuverability of riding a much shorter board. Very fun! The purpose of the design is to have an incredibly versatile surfboard that features hyper-superior paddling, a nice smooth glide along with high performance capabilities such as quick carving turns, the ability the ride high in the wave, change directions quickly, and have enough curve to fit in the pocket and be able to come out without pearling or digging that outside rail. This board has been a work in progress for the last few years that has met or exceeded our expectations at every level in the design progression. Here is a quick rundown on the design features: TEMPLATE · A clean curvy outline with a slightly pulled in nose, wide point at center and visible hip for a loose, maneuverable design · Plenty of width to accommodate a continuous curve in the outline for quick planning and easy maneuverability rail to rail. · The nose area full enough for good flotation and stability but pulled in to the point it slices through the water making catching waves easier and with no hang ups. It is also a more maneuverable design with less swing weight in the nose making turning effortless on a longer design · A nice wide tail and hip area with a 4-fin quad fin set-up for quick planning and easy turning. DECK · A slightly thicker nose area but NO BEAK · A semi flat rolled deck from just above the chest to a little above the knees that blends into the rails with no visible lines · Tail area blends into the natural curve of the tail with a nice clean foil.

11? No way, quiver me shimbers

Why? Id rather fish in a sea kayak. I can also use it (Sea kayak) for scuba snorkel and sup.

I mean how often have I even had a chance to ride my mmartinson gem tanker 10’ long on the nose in waves that would do it justice?

Like driving a ferrari up and down the driveway. in first gear.

sorry guys but Id rather have a gun for a one board quiver than a 11’ appendage

I still think nuggets pretty much are the all around everman board. Carve like shorties and paddle pretty close to longboards. I sit out with the longboarders on mine.

I would have to go with this 8 foot egg. I made this to travel with when I only want to hassle dragging one board though the airport. Features a slight roll in the nose, flat in the middle, vee starting about a foot from the fins and going to flat out the tail. Can be surfed as a quad or single. Board is 21 inches wide and 2 3/4" thick. This board will work in just about anything, but you could find a better board for specific waves conditions. I find myself gabbing this board more and more for day to day surf’s in mediocre conditions. Keep in mind I’m 58 and losing it!

I gotta agree with Tuna. Then again Im in my 50’s also. Maybe that board with a little less nose rocker.

Eat’s your long board up, and blows past your little fish. I’m standing up dropping in while your still trying to catch the wave. Works in knee hi to way overhead.

It’s out of rotation now, because the newer model is around 8-8’6". But if I was trapped on an island in the pacific with beach breaks, summer reefs, winter reefs, mello breaks, and thumping breaks. This board will work it all. 9 x 13 x 21 x 13 x 2 7/8. 92R Clark Blank. It’s a jack of all trades, master of none

…I have customers who ride 5 8 - 6 x 19 1/4 (WP) range thrusters shorties in knee high to 2 1/2 OH…

they have only 1 board (because the money)

I saw riding pretty good waves with those small boards in those larger days

skill is a very important fact, cause I didnt see lack of size with those 2 1/2OH s

the guys are all less than 74 Kg and 1, 78 m

I just built a 6’10 rounded pin, single concave, 2 1/2 thick, for a friend that has a Wayne Lynch Evo knock-off template. I think it’s the best all-arounder I’ve built. My theory is… if you only have one board, you want it to work good when the waves are good. When it’s small, you just sort of deal with it. This board has the length and tail for bigger surf, but the single concave makes it a bit more user friendly for smaller surf. There’s also plenty of volume there for weaker waves.

That’d be my one board quiver.

8’2" epoxy egg with 5 fin bonzer set-up paddles well, rides smoothly and travels well----brian wynn just made me this with a mako eps blank and resin research epoxy and a nice yellow tint to fight UV damage…

Something along the lines of a pulled in hybrid… Rusty “Desert Island”/Randy Rarick (Bear) “Versatile” kind of thing. Like the one in Resinhead’s post.

At age 53 (200+ lbs) I can ride a lot of conditions with something in the 9’6" X 23" size range with my choice of two center fins. Knee high to double overhead are within reason on this type of board.

Up to this point in time the most versatile board I’ve had was a 7’0" bonzer bottomed hybrid thruster I shaped in '92. Measurements were 15" nose, 20 1/2" wide point, 14 1/2" tail, 2 1/2" thickness. It could the biggest waves I could handle (6 ft. Hawaiian scale) down to the weakest mush. I never had to worry about which board(s) I was gonna take with me to the beach because it was all I needed. After a few years of use it kinda lost its magic, but was still a good rider. I kept it for visiting buds to use on vacation. I think my friend who lives in Malibu still has the clone of that board I did for him a couple of years after the original one, won’t part with it ever.

a partially inflated trash-bag-looking planing device

4gf or neumatic, not sure which of the two in the quiver i’d single out

only if i can keep the udt’s for horsepower…

goes in ankle high point peelers, to as big and hairy and hollow as the cojones allow.

DP

So far we have some pretty diverse board (and mat) designs and sizes to consider.

Anyone else have some thoughts on the subject?

Ive been jonesin for a mat go out for about a month.

today I went out on the mat.

the six or so waves I got were the most rewarding

Ive gotton for three months?

no. but the one board fantasy is history.

when you have only one board…

you have only one board.

to choose a board for a go out

you ride it like there is no other board.

if you dont…dissatisfaction reins supreme.

the biggest board aquisition junkies are the first ones to

spark the if I only had one board bullship fantasy.

these are the guys that never

have less than double digit board multiples…

taking one board from home to the beach in your car

means you ride what you have and like it.

love your board youre with…

…ambrose…

I have 3 boards that I ride the most according to the conditions. Total quiver is 7 with 2 of those gathering dust and the other 2 for specific conditions.

The most versatile board I have would definitely be my 7’2" X 22" X 2&3/4" 2+1 egg.

Easy to paddle, good glide with smooth arcs and speed being the order of the day.

From ankle snappers to OH.

The humble mat is surely ready for anything.

My 5’9" Steve Seebold quad fish (5’9" x 21 3/4" x 2 1/2")…

I’ve ridden it from overhead Blacks and Swamis to Hossegor to ankle-knee hi Mediterranean mush. While super-dredging barrels aren’t its favorite, its my go-to board 99% of the time (I’m 6’ 180-185lbs).

I have other pics of the board, but am having trouble re-sizing them to upload size. This pic is from last summer here in Israel…no Southern Hemi swells here. Water temp is 85 in summer though.

Here is what was said a while back by different people:

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=237353;search_string=%22oneboard%22;#237353

Seems that the rounded pintail was the ticket then.