What's your take on FCS FUSION PLUGS?

Quote:

To:FCS

OOOh…almost !

please try again !

Herb

Or better yet…cut a deal with Pro box. Ha.

Or better yet…cut a deal with Pro box. Ha.

Solo,

Larry is way too smart and with a great competitive product to be controlled by bankers.

Seems like no comments re Fusion are from FCS homeland , Australia ( except one saying…make your own), so are the rumours true or false that it has tanked in their backyard. This should be answered as it is directly to topic of the question starting the thread and if being asked by EZ FOAM who sell all systems, they must be concerned.

Hello Ron…are you out there Ron?

Rocky

Two thumbs up for me. I love 'em!

Nice work!

Question…Could you install them post glass without a patch?

I have only done them pre-glass so far. I’m wondering if I could install them like ProBoxes for example, and then just grind down the tabs and it still be structurally sound.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Mahalo

Sorry for the misleading post Todd. That’s my take as a surfer. To me they seem light and strong. I only ride boards…I don’t make them myself so my opinion probably isn’t too relevant to the manufacturing discussion. By the way, these were installed on an EPS blank.

Hey balsa!

Could you install them without the cover patch? Would it work/do you think it “could” be strong enough?

Quote:

Two thumbs up for me. I love 'em!

Nice surfboard Jetty. Love the shape.

Hey Jettylocal,

As Solo said …nice board. Had me fooled at first thinking it was 3 different boards so I thought you were a shaper too.

Looks brand new in the pics so have you surfed it and in what size waves/did it go best as 4 fin or 3 fin?

Rocky

Todd, i don’t think it would hold under pressure. Besides, without glass, you would sooner or later have resin cracking around the plugs.

Gotcha.

Thanks balsa. I knew you would have the answer for me.

Mahalo

Solo,

I know you like Probox and Larry is a great person to work with. He stands behind his product and is willing to deal with the smallest guy out there.

I only endorse what works the best for me and my riders.No one pays me a penny to say this.

Probox Larry was kind enough to let me try them out… that’s all…

…more than I can say for FCS,who won’t even return my email questions.

After much evaluation, Probox is better in every aspect than FCS Fusion boxes, including price,and price of installation.

Personally…I use Red-X… They’re made “HERE” in the USA,like lokbox,and Probox.

Talked with Bill Bahne on Christmas eve and gave him a handmade Hawaiian whale bone fishhook(made by me).

I thanked him for creating back in the 70s what I believe is the absolute best fin box system ever made.

Thanks to Tomatdaum for having the courage to improve the design and see it thru.

Breakout with side pressure tests:

Glassons = 18-22lbs.

Future = 25lbs.

Ofishl = 25lbs.

FCS plug type = 12lbs

probox = 28lbs.

LOKBOX = 60lbs.

Fu longbox = 35lbs.

Edge = 52lbs

FCS Fusion = 22lbs

Red-X = 135+lbs.

All tests were done independently with no outside money involvement. You’re welcome to do your own testing and post your results here.

It’s your choice.

I made mine.

Herb

Quote:

Solo,

I know you like Probox and Larry is a great person to work with. He stands behind his product and is willing to deal with the smallest guy out there.

I only endorse what works the best for me and my riders.No one pays me a penny to say this.

Probox Larry was kind enough to let me try them out… that’s all…

…more than I can say for FCS,who won’t even return my email questions.

After much evaluation, Probox is better in every aspect than FCS Fusion boxes, including price,and price of installation.

Personally…I use Red-X… They’re made “HERE” in the USA,like lokbox,and Probox.

Talked with Bill Bahne on Christmas eve and gave him a handmade Hawaiian whale bone fishhook(made by me).

I thanked him for creating back in the 70s what I believe is the absolute best fin box system ever made.

Thanks to Tomatdaum for having the courage to improve the design and see it thru.

Breakout with side pressure tests:

Glassons = 18-22lbs.

Future = 25lbs.

Ofishl = 25lbs.

FCS plug type = 12lbs

probox = 28lbs.

LOKBOX = 60lbs.

Fu longbox = 35lbs.

Edge = 52lbs

FCS Fusion = 22lbs

Red-X = 135+lbs.

All tests were done independently with no outside money involvement. You’re welcome to do your own testing and post your results here.

It’s your choice.

I made mine.

Herb

Good post Herb,

I do like the pro box. I think some might think because we speak highly of a certain company that it means we are excluding other companies or married to the company we are complementing. With me…I have no issue with the quality of some of the other companies you mentioned. I have a long time relationship with Larry Block also. It’s just hard to be everything to everyone.

Also… I don’t like dealing with the big corporations B.S. of having to be an approved dealer… have minimum orders…be questioned about my location to another competitor or do I have an actual store. Thats all B.S. and I look forward to the day it cost them all a ton of money for creating that atmosphere. Either that…or it would be nice to see them make a healthy change to help the small dealers as well as the large shops that can afford $1000 and up orders and etc. The concept of supporting the entire line of anything is bizzare at best.

What I most like about Larry’s system other than being able to deal directly with Larry himself is the simplicity of the design with regards to adjustment and the economics of that adjustment. Also…it’s designed around taking fiberglass fins rather than plastic, but can also take the most widely distributed system worldwide in FCS.

Some of the negatives I hear from glassers and shapers is either because they are in fact tied to one of the other companies in some way, dependent upon glass factories who don’t like to stop and change things up to use the different style of putting in probox, are friends with one of the other glass companies owners or employees or just don’t like to change what they are doing because they are at a comfort level.

I have used most all of the systems and had few problems with any of them. For thrusters…futures is one of the easiest if you just want to put three fins in and surf like thrusters have surfed the last 25 years. Lokbox also…which adds the fore and aft adjustment. For quads…I don’t know why anyone would want to use a system that does not have adjustment in the hands of the end user with both cant and fore and aft. I have never bought into the break away concept a positive either. How one can call a weakness a positive attribute has always baffled me. We know they all break if hit the right way…but the concept of being built to break away just doens’t seem all that positive.

Also…if the goal is to have a fixed system that rides like glass ons and packing and fitting more boards in retail surf racks are not an issues…why not just get glass ons? If having a fin system that can do all the other fin systems do plus have the added feature of adjustibility for the end user. I think Pro box is simply the best answer all around.

That doesn’t mean I will never use any other system…it’s just that much of what I work on calls for going outside the box type of thinking and Pro box fits.

Solo,

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Herb

Quote:

So far so good.

Simple and strong cause they get capped.

Leave the board with more flexibility than boxes with great mass and more rigid material.

Stay Stoked, Rich

Thats like saying there is more flexibilty with the FCS Fusion box over an FU center box(Fins Unlimited) etc.

Which is certainly true, but I find problems with extending

the analogy.

Since the fins are in a FCS box and cinched down while riding, I think you need to explain how the flexibility of the FCS fusion is such an advantage over similar sized box’d competitors like lokbox, probox, futures and the like

with similar sized footprints.

I’m not getting this!

Mainly it appears to be much an argument of who has the lighter butterknife and consequently

quicker at spreading the jam and jelly. Although I could be wrong.

i use the friendliest supliers and the ones that extend the most credit and post overnight

fcs wins then probox and raptor

Quote:
i use the friendliest supliers and the ones that extend the most credit and post overnight

fcs wins then probox and raptor

Paul,

As qaulity, design and function seem to be missing , you are the perfect FCS Fusion customer.

“Friendliest”…geez they must be laughing every time you call to order.

“extend the most credit”…don’t tell me, i bet they give you 30 days.

“post overnight”…well as they have so much stock not moovin, it is a wonder it is not hand delivered while you are still on the phone having a laugh.

I am just thinking what shit I have got around here to sell you will a big HOHOHO and a cheesy smile at even better terms…

Just Kiddin,

Rocky

lol yeah sure if someones rude to me they can get fcked and go elsewhere

best not to hire surfers as reps in that respect.

30 days that runs into 60 some months

In an industry of secrets,closed doors and outright liars, the Fcs suplier in NZ has been great to deal with.

They have even agreed to buy/stock my boards when 2 local shops wouldnt even look at them. So a big foot in the door for me in the industry just at a time when im getting pretty happy with the my boards.

I supose thats more a compliment on HydroSurf rather then fcs as a company. I do think there install for fusion is the best ive used … but as a few others have said they are a be-arch to glass with poly, because they should have left a continous flange so you are not chasing bubbles around the two slots.

i think the extra time of epoxy would make it easier tho.

huies homemade job using the raptor plugs is far more cost effective however the depth of the fusion box is a big plus for compsands and CDD compsands

I supose thats more a compliment on HydroSurf rather then fcs as a company.

Paul,

I think you hit the nail with your quote above. Sounds like HydroSurf should be given a bigger distribution area…the world comes to mind.

Rocky

yeah good idea

actually fcs plugs are a ripoff price really. they are missing the point. they should be giving the plugs away and selling the fins