Where ya from, whatcha do?

Monterey County, CA. Tonya’s and Krista’s dad. Jacki’s main squeeze. 46 year old grom. Wannabee board builder. Sometime school teacher. Occasional martial art teacher. Trying to keep this old body together to so I can keep having my fun. Mike

Well I started this so I guess I oughta paticipate. I’m a designer/craftsman/scupltor. I have three wives and one kid…Um, I mean one wife and three kids. For 13 years and up till a year, or so ago, I had a design studio/composite shop but now I run the repair/maintanence shop for a private rowing/paddling club. We homeschool our kids, and they school me. We live in Newport beach, Ca. My hobbies are dreaming/designing and avoiding my Inlaws. I’m really good at both!

I’m also a Christian and and of course a surfer. I’m pretty bad at both!

Cool thread, nice to get to know one another.

I’m Les, 56yo, Chiropractor, Seaside, CA (getto of Monterey/Carmel). Swam in HS and College and surfed REGULAR!, raced bicycles then in 1979 began competing in triathlons, I still compete in National and World races. Had a major, near fatal bike accident in 1989, went back to school and became a chiropractor. As I lay looking up in the hospital bed I kept thinking what was I to do now? Decided I wanted to help people recover faster from injuries and maximize their health.

I enjoy, not only restoring peoples bodies, restoring old BMW motorcycles (I have a 59, 66, 71 and 73, the 71 is the only one working at the moment) and just last year my thrill of surfing was renewed. So much so that I began making boards. I train/compete in triathlons January to October and surf only on Sundays. Then Oct to Jan1 I surf Tued, Thurs and Sunday.

I just have to say, I LOVE THIS SITE! Excellent info and occasionally some fun stuff like this. Keep it up!

Les

We’re all family in here mate, just like your own rellies, some good, some bad, some inbetween

Anyone visiting Perth is welcome to drop on by.

cheers

Hicksy

Living in Stavanger, Norway. Working as a programmer making VR simulators for harbour cranes and drilling rigs. 31, happily married for about 8 years, got a 4 months old baby daughter.

regards,

Håvard

Quote:

Well I started this so I guess I oughta paticipate. I’m a designer/craftsman/scupltor. I have three wives and one kid…Um, I mean one wife and three kids. For 13 years and up till a year, or so ago, I had a design studio/composite shop but now I run the repair/maintanence shop for a private rowing/paddling club. We homeschool our kids, and they school me. We live in Newport beach, Ca. My hobbies are dreaming/designing and avoiding my Inlaws. I’m really good at both!

I’m also a Christian and and of course a surfer. I’m pretty bad at both!

I believe…

that you’re also older than that photo makes you look too, yes ?

[insider information ]

ben

I shape golf courses all over the world. Instead on a planer, i use a bulldozer to carve up the earth. Im from Virginia. Ive caught waves since i was a child. My two son who are 11 and 8 are picking up surfing. Hers a pic of my oldest on the surf board standin up on his first wave at age 5.And the other is my youngest longboardin.

Heres the oldest first wave. I pushed him into a waist high wave outside, and he rode it 100 yards and dropped it on the beach. Wife happened to catch it from the beach.

Hi I’m 27 and Live in Bristol in the UK, I work a 9-5 in an office and do bar work in a comedey club at the weekends, I surf when ever and where ever I can. I’m in the middle of building a workshop to make surfboards in. I want to make some first class boards, I don’t care about the money, but if in 10yrs time I could be making a living out of it I’d be really stoked

I love to live, and live to love, enjoy spreading my stoke around. my best friend I’ve grown up with is due a grom in feb and I can’t wait to teach it to surf.

Hi,

I’m from Bordeaux, France. I am a neuroscientist and love thinking about the next board I’m gonna make, and how I’m going to make it, and Swaylocks is a great inspirational place.

from Wales, Uk, but the other end of the country from Silverback. I work in local govt as a ‘professional tree hugger’ Been surfing for 30 years on and off. Still in my '40’s [always will be]

Shaped a few boards over the years, ridden all sorts. Also enjoy catamaran enduro sailing, paddleboarding, celtic longboat rowing, really anything in the sea. My family has conections with the sea going back a long way. But I’m an average surfer and always will be.

currently ride a hobie 'slug’9’3" and a mat of sorts, but want to build a fish and order one of Dale’s creations.

Mid forties, and a refugee from los angeles. I live in coos bay oregon now, and married into the community so I’ve yet to be beaten down by the locals. I’ve avoided prison for neigh on 20 years now, and haven’t done drugs since Jerry died. I live to surf, and work to surf, so I’m a overnight shipping and recieving manager for the hated walmart supercenter here. Off in time to dawn patrol, and three day weekends, so it works out pretty well. Recent convert to board-building after 30 years of buying used due to be poor white trash. Helluva hobby, thanks for all the hard won knowledge.

My current punishment on this planet is to get up at 4AM every weekday and leave the house at 5AM to spend 1-1.5 glorious hours in bumper to bumper traffic for 10-15 miles till I get to work in downtown Honolulu. I then get to sit high above the crowd in my steel and glass castle office overlooking the entire south shore of oahu, only to witness wave after wave break unridden infront of me. Whenever there’s a swell I must close my blinds to lessen the pain of knowing that I won’t have a chance of getting wet until dawn patrol on the weekends when I just know it will be flat again… I then get to cap off the day by leaving my office at at 6:30PM getting home 1-1.5 hours later fighting traffic all the way. Life can be cruel to us aging surfers who’ve transcended the “lifestyle” and been condemned to the “real world”.

They constantly remind us at work that it’s the price of paradise, to work so hard and enjoy so little of this beautiful place. So as you sit out in the lineup doing your thing… Just remember that there’s alot of us who struggle day to day just making sure the world machine is running well, so people have jobs, there are things to eat and things to buy to make everything you do work the way it does… That is unless your homeless and living on the beach without any possessions like the many I run into on the weekends at my favorite break.

Enjoy the ride…

We never have enough time on this planet.

Born and raised in Wilmington, NC. Full time student at UNCW, majoring in Coastal Management. Work part-time as a deckhand for Cape Fear Riverboats, may however start doing bitchwork for a local glasser.

Born and raised in Florida…central gulf coast…yeah I know poor me…surf wise anyway,39 years old. Wife and a 9yr old daughter that make me happy. Live to surf …surf to live…use the job to facilitate my habit. Oh yeah …job,engineer for the local school district…still trying to find an easier way. Never enough time to surf…or travel to surf. At least now I have a new addiction…board building… to endure flat spells and time between vacations.Every day is a gift…live each as your last…setting up a dream trip(for me…) to Australia next year…also crashing on Bens floor…if not run down by INS in the interim. Have fun…

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent:”

calvin coolidge - 13th us president

“Better to be thought a fool…than to open your mouth and remove all doubt”

I’m a Pisces and like butterbeans and Black-capped Chickadees.

thats weird, , ILM…NC…boatbuilding and whatnot…wooohooo…i typed something.

[boatbuilding]

What kind of boatbuilding?

Merewether, Australia. Home of Mark Richards.

32, shaping 6 months, thinking about it for 15 years.

Married, 1 minute to the beach, no kids, Pub within 1/2 minutes walk. Lifes alright at the moment.

Newcastle, Australia. 5 mins north of the home of MR. unfortunately i’ve never been a fan of his style, but that’s a matter of opinion.

26, have been working the vineyards since 17 but only casual the last 3 years and after this year will be a primary school teacher. my last year of study, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

i too am a Christian and it’s the biggest part of me really cause whether i’m working or surfing i’m always in communication with Him. i love to play guitar for Him also.