YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, CONSIDER THIS A WARNING.

Really?   Seriously?   Anyone think the PC Police are getting a bit trigger happy?     Imagine the posting of a photo of some fruitcake with no written text.     I responded to it with ‘‘you just said a thousand words.’’   (Ever heard the expression,  One picture is worth a thousand words?)    Well, those two things  triggered the above warning, and a lockdown of the shapeoff thread.     Excessive?    I think so.     Every now and then some of us need our tails pulled, to get our attention.     Including me, though I don’t really like it.    What say you, forum members.   Are you good with this level of ‘‘sensitivity’’?   Or is it hypersensitivity?   What was so bad about a picture of some fruitcake?   I thought it was quite clever.

I for one have never tried fruitcake. Is it delicious? 

Hey Bill thanx for responding to my pm’s so we could come to a better understanding of each other.

How about a fruitcake recipe? This is swaylocks. 

No, far from it!     In fact, VERY far from it.      IMO, of course.

Bill

Original recipe makes 1 6-inch round pan

1/8 cup chopped dried cherries

1/8 cup chopped dried mango

1/4 cup dried cranberries

1/4 cup dried currants

2 tablespoons chopped candied citron

1/4 cup dark rum

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/8 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 cup unsulfured molasses

2 tablespoons milk

1/4 cup chopped pecans

1/4 cup dark rum, divided

Directions

Soak cherries, mango, cranberries, currants, and citron in 1/4 cup rum for at least 24 hours. Cover tightly, and store at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Butter a 6x3-inch round pan or loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; mix into butter and sugar in three batches, alternating with molasses and milk. Stir in soaked fruit and chopped nuts. Scrape batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons rum.

Cut out one piece parchment paper and one piece cheesecloth, each large enough to wrap around the cake. Moisten cheesecloth with 1 tablespoon rum. Arrange cheesecloth on top of parchment paper, and unmold cake onto it. Sprinkle top and sides of cake with remaining rum. Wrap the cheesecloth closely to the surface of the cake, then wrap with paper. Place in an airtight tin, and age for at least 10 weeks. If storing longer, douse with additional rum for every 10 weeks of storage.

Having a sense of humor makes life easier.

Being thin skinned and oversensitive does not.

And yes I know who I am.

well, if you removed from Sway’s the perennial grouches, dedicated obstinates, extremely opinionated, strangely obtuse, dangerously uninformed, self proclaimed guru’s, wound-up wanna-be’s, free associaters, and the rant prone, the forum would consist of a small handful trading vanilla flavored critiques while stroking their cat Mr. Chuckles…

it’s Sway’s, crappola happens, and a free for all bar fight can be a lotta fun as long as you’re not the guy getting the bottle across the head…or even worse, a fruitcake…,lol

What’s that old joke about the Christmas fruitcake an aunt gives you that becomes a rotating gift which is passed around the family for years to come?

I think the only things that will survive a nuclear holocaust are roaches and fruitcake.

Bill, who cares?  And Huck out of the public’s eye?  

fruit cakes are for the young… too sweet… like dingdongs.

herb

Just needs more rum :wink:

Hey Bill, I notice thngs get sent to the bug farm way too quickly these days too. There’s a few flinging nasty personal attacks that should be told they are close to being banished, but the other stuff is just one person’s opinion. Difference in opinion can be good.

Old guys know a lot, but sometimes young kids can teach an old guy a thing or two. Gotta have an open mind, and accept that you might not be as right as you think you are. When it comes to technology the kids are at an advantage, but if we’re talking about craftsmanship, experience tends to win most of the time.

I think it’s funny to see how many inexperienced people throw out so much advice, or constantly go back to showing the one, two or three boards they made. Growing up, we always figured that it would take a hundred boards just to get good enough to make one as good as the top guys that were getting all the orders. I’m about at the half way point, and really beginning to understand the subtle things, but no where near where the masters are.

In the 45+ years I’ve been surfing, I’ve seen so many changes, especially in the last decade. We’re opening our minds and going back to do second or third looks at things we never really fully researched. The kids are leading the way and they can do things we never thought was possible 20 or 30 years ago. When I was a kid, I could ride anything, and I could ride it in either stance. A lot of that was because I rode a skate board a lot. I see that in a lot of the younger hot kids, and these kids are lucky now because they are making boards too. They are pushing the envelope of what works way beyond what I am used to, and it’s scary because it makes me obsolete, just another old guy.

And for the fruitcake, if you don’t get a buzz from just smelling the rum, you should give it away.

I’m confused… When do I add surfacing agent?

I think I’m beginning to hate swaylocks.

Plenty of them around Sways. That’s for sure.   So when you are keeping track of how many boards you have done;  Does it count if you only shape??  Glass??  What if you didn’t hotwire the blank??  Do all those boards some of you have done and stripped the glass off of to save a buck count??  Just curious.  Maybe there is something in one of Sambo’s mags about “cut downs” and board count.  Good questions for Verbal.  Where’s that boy been any how??  L 

Cum on, Herb, you love Dingdongs, right? Or is that Hohos? 

What about a picture of a fruit bat? Is that safe to do?

SammyA,

Perhaps if you suggest that we NUKE THE UNBORN, FEMALE, GAY, BLACK, HANDICAPPED, FRUITCAKE WHALES, this thread can get locked down.   What do you think?

Fruit cake taste horrible. Probably one of those pre refridgeration recipes to preserve fruit and flour from going bad. You could live on it if you had to, but it taste like shit. If you have enough of them you could build a good sturdy retaining wall.