A NEW SURFBOARD MODEL

I have actually enojoyed this thread, I see no reason why the same group of (mostly) adults cannot at times converse on subjects that they know full well are like hot potatoes.  I admittedly share Bill T.'s opinion on politics, but that’s all it is, one man’s opinion…this is nothing more than conversation, heated as it may be, but how many times can you ask “help me with my quad fin placement please?”… it’s ok imo to at times have one of the “elders” give an opinion, start a thread “not on topic”… whatever…there’s lots of threads to click on within the homepage; you may not agree with my view point, I may not agree with yours, but I have enojoyed reading those that are not afraid to speak their minds…if you believe in something, truly, then I like reading and listening to your thoughts, does not mean I have to share the same opinion to appreciate intelligent writing/speaking and well thought out answers, its how I learn.

As an example, I don’t know SammyA from a hole in the ground, but yet I have a lot of respect for him, have never met him, never even said two words to him by PM or otherwise, but I like hearing what he has to say, but I don’t punch the same name in the voting booth as SammyA…it really does not matter to me, still enjoy what he has to say.

Being 42 yrs old I am in an age group that I have an equal amount of “liberal” friends and “conservative” friends, if thats what you care to call them…we all seem to get along quite well, but yes, I’m happy to piss on their fire in good humor in standing for my viewpoint, as they are just as happy to piss on my fire to stand for what they beleive in…

and with al that said, I’m really starting to think all politicians are professional criminals, just a matter of do they wear a blue jumpsuit or a red jumpsuit…I heard a great comment from a co-worker younger than myself the other day, something along the lines of “We have the greatest political system in the world that ever existed… yeah, in Communism you have one choice, in our system you have 2 choices, so in the end we really only have one more choice than what is purported to be the aboslute worst politicaly system known to man”

on with the show…in the center ring I see the clown car pulling up, the one where 38 clowns pile out of a mini-cooper… how do they do that?

Warren

The polarized anger so apparent on this thread is just an honest microcosm of our society in general these days.  Vigorous social discourse on the nature of things has morphed into vitriolic attacks/defense that shut down the conversation and only leaved bruised feelings and anger.

I got caught up in the Viet Nam draft during a working break from college so no student deferment , a long hair San Francisco surfer with liberal views, unwilling to go the conscientious observer route (some of my friends did, the same guys that including me were quick to throw hands during a beef), or move to Canada, and so spent the next two years among the most conservative, redneck folks you will ever meet.  And I liked most of them.  They were good, honest folks that were who they were because of where they had come from, who their parents were, and how they had been raised, what had been discussed at their dinner table.  I learned they were me, and I was them, we just got raised under completely different circumstances with different values.  Americans, with different values. Americans i could have a few beers with, have some interesting and often heated discussions, then laugh about it, and get back to the task at hands.  together.

It is no different on this forum.  We are all a product of our age, circumstances, and influences.  We all want the same things out of life, and we all want a better America, we just see a different way to get there.

More of an independent these days with moderate democrat leanings, here is why I like Obama, who does tend to piss me off with a lot of the stuff he does.

Obama has been called every name in the book, insulted, burned in effigy, declared a Muslim terrorist, an in the bush Kenyan, his family has been vilified, has undergone more racially motivated political abuse then any politician history x10, and even the best of his ideas, fundamental changes to our government that would really help all of us and are not left/right biased, are blown up by the opposing party just because they hate him so badly they would rather see us remain stuck in the mud rather then give him any win whatsoever.

And yet Obama continues to stay on the high ground, talking about hope in America and  building better future, not bringing the national dialog down into the mud like the current crop of presidential wanna-be’s have.  And that is what I respect about him the most, and why I consider him superior to the current crop of clowns up for replacing him.

And I respect the Swayholics on this board who have vastly different political and social thoughts and views from my own, just as i did with those midwest and southwest men I served with.  Cause we’re all Americans, living in a country which was built on a melting pot of diaparate ideas and values.

So when we’re all out together on the peak, sharing some waves, the only thing I want to know when we paddle for a set, are you going left or right… :slight_smile:

Well said Icc. Being in the military is like traveling, your eyes are opened to many different things but we soon realise no matter where we go, people are people. Just like us.

I just wish they would do something about the Da#$ gas prices. We are being treated like a tied up goat.

And there IS something they can do about it.

Looked it up…

http://fas-history.rutgers.edu/clemens/constitutional1/pinckney.html

Charles Pinckney (October 26, 1757 - October 29, 1824). Pinckney was raised and educated in a prosperous, prominent family in Charles Town (Charleston), South Carolina. When the Revolution came, he joined the state militia, and saw action against the British. Captured, imprisoned, and later paroled, he emerged after the war as a wealthy, slaveowning planter. He served in the South Carolina legislature, and was sent to the post-war Continental Congress, where he opposed plans t bargain away American rights to navigate the Mississippi River. 

Pinckney's concern that the new United States could not negotiate vigorously over commercial matters with foreign powers made him a supporter of plans to strengthen the Articles of Confederation. Pinckney helped draft plans to revise the Articles (by giving the Confederation government power to regulate commerce, raise revenues, and adjudicate court cases concerning national issues), but when the Constitutional Convention was called, Pinckney went as one of the strongest supporters of creating a more powerful national government.. Pinckney submitted an extended plan for revisions of the Articles (similar to Madison's suggestions, but whereas Madison's became the "Virginia Resolutions" and the starting point for debate at Philadelphia, Pinckney's plan was not debated on the floor of the convention and no text of the plan now exists). Pinckney spoke frequently during the Convention. He favored a "high-toned" or aristocratic government (such as existed in South Carolina) as well as one in which the central government had power to control the separate states (a position he shared with Madison). At the same time, he was a vigorous defender of slavery, and believed that slaves should be fully counted in the basis for representation in any legislative bodies in which the number of delegates assigned a state depended on population. In South Carolina, Pinckney championed ratification.

In the new republic, Pinckney served four times as governor of South Carolina, and as a member of the United States House of Representatives. Initially a supporter of the Washington administration, he moved toward the Jeffersonian opposition. In 1820, during the debate over the admission of Missouri as a slave state, Pinckney again gained national attention as one of two members of Congress who had been at the Constitutional Convention and who could apparently speak authoritatively about the original intent of the framers in regard to slavery.

Sources: there is no full-length biography of Pinckney. The best introduction to his role in the convention is chapter 7 (pp. 64-74) of Christopher Collier and James Lincoln Collier, The Constitutional Convention of 1787 (N.Y., 1986).

A pro $lavery aristocrat, huh?

Maybe you and a lot of other sons of the revolution are having a hard time dealing that there's now a black guy in white house.

I just wish they would do something about the Da#$ gas prices.”

Me too!  Drop all the subsidies to the multinational petrol companies and let the price of gas reflect the real cost of it, to public health, to the environment, etc.  Maybe $8-10/gal would be about right?  That would get the ball really rolling on alt.forms of energy and maybe we would finally finally finally get some renewable, sustainable, not MidEast dependent forms of energy and transportation going.  Great idea!

[quote="$1"]

[quote="$1"]

I'm a direct decendent of the Pinckneys of South Carolina, two of whom are signers of the U S Constitution.    Look it up.  Read a little history, you'll get an insight as to why this topic is meaningful to me.   The freedom you enjoy, is because those ''rich men'' of that day, put it all on the line to create this country.

[/quote]

Looked it up...

http://fas-history.rutgers.edu/clemens/constitutional1/pinckney.html

Charles Pinckney (October 26, 1757 - October 29, 1824). Pinckney was raised and educated in a prosperous, prominent family in Charles Town (Charleston), South Carolina. When the Revolution came, he joined the state militia, and saw action against the British. Captured, imprisoned, and later paroled, he emerged after the war as a wealthy, slaveowning planter. He served in the South Carolina legislature, and was sent to the post-war Continental Congress, where he opposed plans t bargain away American rights to navigate the Mississippi River. 

Pinckney's concern that the new United States could not negotiate vigorously over commercial matters with foreign powers made him a supporter of plans to strengthen the Articles of Confederation. Pinckney helped draft plans to revise the Articles (by giving the Confederation government power to regulate commerce, raise revenues, and adjudicate court cases concerning national issues), but when the Constitutional Convention was called, Pinckney went as one of the strongest supporters of creating a more powerful national government.. Pinckney submitted an extended plan for revisions of the Articles (similar to Madison's suggestions, but whereas Madison's became the "Virginia Resolutions" and the starting point for debate at Philadelphia, Pinckney's plan was not debated on the floor of the convention and no text of the plan now exists). Pinckney spoke frequently during the Convention. He favored a "high-toned" or aristocratic government (such as existed in South Carolina) as well as one in which the central government had power to control the separate states (a position he shared with Madison). At the same time, he was a vigorous defender of slavery, and believed that slaves should be fully counted in the basis for representation in any legislative bodies in which the number of delegates assigned a state depended on population. In South Carolina, Pinckney championed ratification.

In the new republic, Pinckney served four times as governor of South Carolina, and as a member of the United States House of Representatives. Initially a supporter of the Washington administration, he moved toward the Jeffersonian opposition. In 1820, during the debate over the admission of Missouri as a slave state, Pinckney again gained national attention as one of two members of Congress who had been at the Constitutional Convention and who could apparently speak authoritatively about the original intent of the framers in regard to slavery.

Sources: there is no full-length biography of Pinckney. The best introduction to his role in the convention is chapter 7 (pp. 64-74) of Christopher Collier and James Lincoln Collier, The Constitutional Convention of 1787 (N.Y., 1986).

A pro $lavery aristocrat, huh?

Maybe you and a lot of other sons of the revolution are having a hard time dealing that there's now a black guy in white house.

[/quote]

Really!?!?!?! Did you really mean to say that??? I don't see the correlation.

Very selective.     Try Charles Cotesworth Pinckney.     George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and many other framers, slave holders all.     That was then, this is now.    Don't you get that?     Long before it was fashion, I was the recording secretary of the first biracial fraternity in the nation.    Alpha Mu Epsilon.     The president was boxer Archie Moore's son.   Look it up, ASSHOLE.     Be a little more careful about putting out the racist label.

OMG !!! Opinions are like assholes everyones got one. Drop it before it goes richter.

Politics has no place on Swaylocks. Go on Facebook if ya want to prove your point of view and make your case for your flipping Opinions. 

I was busy building boards all week. That is better then this crap. Finish shaped 24, glass and sanded two expoxy boards. I have two boards to hand shape tomorrow morning. another 5 to scrub and a polish on a mid 60’s 9’8 Diff restro. Don’t have time to worry about everyones opinions  of what they believe to be Right!

Anyone get Waves today? I’m not

Sanolocal, it's flat here and the hoardes have come to the beach with high inland temps. Hangin' at home.

ps. Any photos of the Diff? He was/is a huge influence on me. Used to live behind him and was too intimidated to talk to him. Other than asking, howzit? Plus he was going through all the health problems then.

[quote="$1"]  Drop it before it goes richter. [/quote]

Good call.   It's already gone sphincter, hasn't it?

I’ll snap a pic and post it next week sometime when its done. Flat here and cleaning house doing laundry kind of day. 

Did you catch that final yesterday at Snapper’s? Talk about stealing a contest. Taj won but I think DeSouza surfed better but that just my Opinion!  B)

Hah! It's gone Sphincter X 10!!

Gas in Europe is not subsidized as it is here.  While doing business (manged high tech facilities for a US company in a bunch of countries) in northern Europe 2001 - 2006, gas was running an average of $7 gallon, which is why there weren’t any 400 hp Camros on the road.  Car registration costs were based on mpg, not cost of vehicle.

As a result, almost all of the European cars are highly advanced turbo diesels that the US car industry has successfully lobbied to keep out of the US(the new diesel VW is built here) , that get 35 - 45 mpg and perform wonderfully.

Want to see fewer wars and a booming economy?  Go electric, methane, whatever and phase out this insidious gas based economy.  The jobs created to build new vehicle platforms and ‘fill up’ infrastructure would create millions of new jobs, and ultimately would improve our ecnomhy, environment, and stop the endless skirmishes and wars in the mid east based on protecting/contesting oil resources.

How many lives and how much of our treasure would we spend in the Mid east getting in the middle of their intra-tribal wars if they didn’t have oil?  None. 

Where can I get innegra?  How about them Dodgers, Wanna go bowling?  Yes, I am changing the subject, but I am serious about the innegra…

"Go electric, methane, whatever and phase out this insidious gas based economy".

Therein lies the rub. As alluded to previously by Reverb, That is who or what we are really voting for: Big oil, big business, stock trading, offshore manufactureing and investing. That is all we are given. It is not a singular person. Why else would someone spend 100 million to campaign for a $170,000 per year job. It ain't statesmanship!!! The electric car is a pacifier. It takes no logic to see that it isn't sustainable in the U.S. Our elec. infrastructure can't handle such a huge shift. Nukes aren't the answer. Look to Japan.

The current television ad for the Volt says dual fuel: Electircal and gas. Trouble is they even say in the ad with a full charge, it has a range of 35 miles?!?!? I know folks that do that on a bicycle.

This has been great fun.  Read every post.  I’m with Bill.  No need for name calling, though, by anyone.    I thought Bill’s post was funny, but I guess it hit a nerve for some.

If we weren’t arguing about this, it would likely be something else.  Like the role of concave, or epoxy vs poly.  How about rocker apex?  let’s do that one again.

Huie, I really want to know more about the nylon/corker.  It costs too much to ship from Aust, so I will have to build one.  Not asking for any secrets, just general overview. Start a thread, please.

All the best,

I live in Asheville NC. The local power companies have formed a cooperative around the issue of electric cars. They’ve already built several solar powered charging stations. Don’t know how efficient they are but I went and looked at one that’s just a couple miles from my house. I smoked it over pretty good and it looks like it’s off the grid completely. At least I couldn’t see evidence that it was “connected”. It’s an existing parking lot and I couldn’t find a trench, or overhead wires, big utility boxes etc.  Really does look self contained. (I checked on it further and they elude in the article and on their website that it is connected to the grid, sure fooled me though, very simple and slick installation)

The overhead shelter structure serves as the solar panel array. I thought it was pretty funny that they put it right next to the state run liquor store! You can get “loaded” while you get “charged” up! Must be just designed to give an “opportunity” charge. But hey I thought it was pretty cool!

This is the article on the first one they put downtown, if you click through you can see this is a real strategy that is being acted upon here.

http://www.mountainx.com/article/38228/Ashevilles-first-electric-vehicle-charging-station-opens-Monday-Dec.-12-at-Charlotte-and-Eagle

Final disclaimer; I thought I better add that while I am not associated directly with this project, my business does have a direct benefit from it.

The electric car is a pacifier. It takes no logic to see that it isn’t sustainable in the U.S. Our elec. infrastructure can’t handle such a huge shift. Nukes aren’t the answer. Look to Japan.”

Egg-zactly (note subtle surfboard reference?  Wink wink…“egg”).  What we really need is to retool our entire society in pretty much every area.  Everything is connected.  Currently there still isn’t much incentive as to the superficial mind it all looks like a big expense and pain in the butt and for what?  But if gasoline were being sold at its real cost (plus some legitimate profit) and if other real expenses were to become more transparent i.e. shit starts falling apart right and left, watch us pull out some creative hat tricks…if there is time enough left when it comes to that.  We sent peeps to the moon and created the atom bomb (oh joy!).  The potential is there if only enough people wake up while there is enough natural infrastructure (translation: natural world of breathable air, drinkable water, etc)  left to support healthy human life.

Not sure how much I buy into the whole “free energy” concept but Thrive is a pretty interesting movie to watch along these lines.

OK, let’s argue about energy for a while.

Mr. Tate, I'm too tired to argue about energy.