Mini simmons, and long simmons, what about in between simmons??

Thanks Marmorino, I think I’m sold on it.

Length:  8’0"

@Larimer

Oh yeah, and about carving the 6’8, the last days in Morroco, when surfing with friends, i was paddling on the shoulder( of longboarders!!!) taking some speed and crossing under them each time with so much easyness.

Made it more than 10 times. They really can carve. The bigger the surf the wider the curve. But i think it’s the same with every surfboard.

I been riding a 5'3", and 5'2", and lovin it and dunno if I want to go longer, maybe for really fat waves, or possibly if I was to make one with more tail curve and rocker, but the little ones feel insane...have you guys who want them longer, tried shorter versions, or do you just think you cant ride boards that short ? just curious, each to their own, ride what ya like and great boards here, just trying to understand it more...coz the little ones just go soooo well.......

www.moresurfboards.com

Hey mark, im sure i can ride a short one. The "pacman" ( you know with the sweet logo! ) is 21 wide, with a 17" nose and tail, and it paddles and surfs great, so a 5'8'' simmons would have even more planing area. I love midlength boards, just like the versatility, and can make tiny waves fun. And longer boards have more rail line to push off, which feels insane on a good wave. Im pretty sure i'll do a short simms first, but i wouldnt rule out a mid length in the future.

Cheers

Another mid-length Simmons inspired, and maybe a little more Skip Frye influenced.

8’6 x 23 3/4 x 3 1/2

It’s for a big guy.

props to PG and Spence-doing the simmons inspired machines for years now, long before these type of boards became mainstream. born from a desire to have a hull that could surf a certain rolling point wave. PG reached back into his memory banks, recalling a time he surfed a simmons at malibu. he figured, from that experience, a simmons type board wouuld fly in most anything, and could possibly be the thing we were looking for to ride previous mentioned rolling point.

first one was made by gluing two blanks together to get desired width. it proved to be the machine we were looking for. from there the experimentation started-single fins, twins, 10' down to 7'4"(maybe a 6'8" in there) and so on.

funny to think that a board that was considered by many to be "old news" and "outdated" has been recycled to the current forefront of surfing.pretty cool stuff actually.

yep, what design is next on the list......

7'6" Forstall

(.)(.)

in response to p-more about long vs. short: i’ve got a different idea. I ride a fish almost all the time, but i like my mid-length simm as an alternative to my fish.  my 6-10 simmons goes good in lots of different stuff that my fish doesn’t as well.  like i surfed it last week in waist high fat rollers, it was alot of fun, and easily goes where a longboard would go, but for my taste waaay more fun than  a logger.  it’s cruisy, fast, easy wave catcher, but doesn’t feel all static and soft like a log.  

however,  i saw a dude at my local reef going off on his mini simm this a.m. and my curiosity about the little ones was peaked again. but i wonder if i went to a little simmons, if it would just replace my fish or be redundant? i dunno yet.  i still like the fish in just about any surfwith push, little to OH.

My 6’4 x 23’’ x 3’’ made for my girlfriend.

She never surfed before and I would say there isn’t a big difference between a beginners minimalibu and this midsimmons. She could easily get her first waves and learn to take off.

I also tried it and as I am a fan of really short boards and could never imagine to ride a longboard, this shape encouraged me that I perhaps sometimes will try a longboard too. Paddling and getting waves was so unbelievable easy. Going frontside was so easy and gave me a great cruising feeling I had never expected.

after reading this thread this is one i'm thinking of doing soon: EDIT - lost the file but made the board 6'4 x 22 x 2 7/8

[IMG]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/blue-pig/mini%20simmons/P7200597.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/blue-pig/mini%20simmons/P7200596.jpg[/IMG]

another HWS - didn't want to go short as i'm still a novice so we'll see how it goes

Simmons 6,6   22.75  3.75

Where are you putting the fins on these things? I’m working on a 7-0 x 22 wide right now but I’m stuck on the fin placement. I’d like to use some Rasta keels on this as a twin or could go quad as well. Any suggestions?

Johnny, this is my 7' x 22" if your close to Wall come by my shop and check it out or take it for a surf to see if you like the fin placement

Tom

Thanks Tom! Wow those things are right out on the rail and off the tail. Been meaning to get over there, I’ll call you one of these days when I’m in the area.

Thinking of shaping a longer simmons than most have posted here maybe a nine eight.

What kind of rocker are you guys using on eight to ten ft simmons for small or soft waves.

Rely like the outline on spence eight footer and the nine eight he made for elsner I think.

http://www.spencesurfboards.com/images/98_elsnerimmons_deck.jpg

10' Jim Phillips Balsa/EPS

()