post Hull pics

there may be some via big bay al…(soon i hope)

Dang, where’s Al’s website?

(wow–I’d never seen this stuff–Kopps in there–

http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/story_assets/2005_09_27_surfrider_auction/v01_surfrider_auction.swf)

Quote:
I just thought adding a thruster cluster to a hullish design and having it work begs the question of what other fins and configurations would do. If the flex fin is just a brake against spinout of the tail, it naturally follows to wonder what drivier fins could do for the rail-ride and turning maneuvers. If it all turns out to be negatives, that's that. But it's not saying you have to tune the fins for thruster-like back-foot riding

That’s just in the spirit (for the moment) of not being married to “hull” as a monolithic thing that has to stay the same no matter what–kinda looking at the convex and rail and rocker as parts of a surfboard. But by the same token I’m frankly more interested in the finless thing(s). For me it goes toward evolving a alaia/hull.

So will there ever be pics of the board and video of DM’s finless surfing?

Also relates to the knee board question another thread: There are currently two main schools of KB design (3rd is flex hulls) One is the U.S. style based on fish and modern morphs on that. The other is the Aussie tri which is really NOT a thruster and shares a lot w/ the hull lineage. Friend of mine has several Flashpoint boards shaped by Bruce Hart. They have a progressive rocker w/ rounded vee or belly in front that blends into concaves as you go back. Semi pinched, egg rails w/ a bit of roll and edge only toward the rear. the three fins as way forward and the center fin is closer to the front two than on a thruster. Net result is a board desigened to be ridden w/ weight forward, mostly from one spot and drive in the rails rather than load up and release fins. They are not ‘traditional hulls’ but to me they seem like a branch off that tree and they definitely work in all types of waves depending in individual board tweaks.

Dr. Strange – see if you can put up a pic of those Aussie Kboards. that’s interesting.

http://www.surfinfo.com.au/nsw/flashpoint/snapshot.htm

Can’t see much except outline and the forward fin placement

and the flextail

I got a chance to see “The Bottom Half” board that Dan was riding yesterday. Take a standard Liddle “hull” and slice the deck off (hence the name). The rails have no top. Wonder if a knifier knife edge is the secret to finless drive. Methinks, it is more the rider and less the ride.

KP just took custody of a couple of new Point Breakers. The 7’4" is particularly sweet. We were talking a bit about getting Greg to shape a short, wide tailed stubby with a swallow tail and slapping a couple of Geppy keels on the rails…

Did BOSS make hulls, or semi-hulls?

had my PBer in some really lined up head-high PB waves last sats – i see now why the fuller nose… allowed me dropin behind the curl and engage more rail for a longer BT around the curl up into the pocket… and off you go.

some kid (obv not too good with engl) says, “that look like a funnier wave!” (?!?)

This is definitely worth a look in terms of finlessness. Old post by Dale Solomonson. He made himself a number of variations for prone and KB. This is an unmade extrapolation for stand-up

http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=277

Jason, long drive for me to photo and pics on website etc (Flashpoint, KB forum) don’t really show the bottom contours. I can say though that they are beautifully put together. All the curves blend into a whole that just sort of looks right. They will slide tail if you push the rear and a lot who ride them use that for lip moves but they also will drive long turns and carve hard.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sparrow+kneeboard&search=Search

Simon Farrer is one of the best riders for sure upper echalon. Link above gets you some clips.

Some more hull pix:

Brad D. on a wave last week, I recomend having more wave when attempting this.

Note to others, careful when lending out a favorite board, you might not get it back.

That footage of Dan Malloy on the finless Liddle is here:

http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bccl=MTE3ODE3NjgzMV9fRVRD=

http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=1214062836&bccl=MTE3ODE3NjgzMV9fRVRD

that board looks like it has a much wider tail than my PBer… like what they call a trashcan tail. when i heard about him on this finless liddle - i kind of had an image of him climbing and dropping and building speed on speed … but i’m sure it’s difficult enough as he was doing with that thing finless.

good stuff nonetheless.

Yep, I was looking for that in there but that’s not the one you heard about him doing that on–that wasn’t a Liddle I don’t think

I’m getting emails, telling me when my post has been replied to. How can I make this stop?

Thanks!

no jank - for sure it was a liddle – i saw the logo and he (DM) says it. maybe climb and drop’s not the right term - perhaps i was thinking he could… god forgive here… ‘pump’ the board up to speed in small waves… or even better… go rail to rail without sliding out. Good vid(s) tho.

rice – i think if someone hits the reply button on yr post, you get the email. otherwise you shouldn’t get. i’m pretty sure though you can enter your account and setup it up not to.

Oh yeh, the one in the clip was a Liddle–the one we heard about him doing roundies on finless wasn’t.

in that video post above, dan is riding my old 7’ arc tail liddle.he has also ridden my old 7’4" rouindtail liddle finless, a pg roundatil finless, the roundtail bottom -half finless and currenlty has been ripping, full on pumping, rail burying cutbacks on a 7’1’ liddle stringerless(which was liddle’s last personal board on the mainland)…

Dan just keeps getting better at this , I took the Shapes and Hull back and gave him a 7’1’’ that was Gregs last california board. Ive got a few more to let him try. I also have a few new Liddle Arctails a 7’0’’ and 7’2’’ if anybodys lookin ( shamless plug ).

What do you guys think of a hull-ish bonzer egg? I’ve never seen one done but I’ve been thinking about it for a while. A less extreme hull maybe more like an Andreini with a slightly pointed nose. Pinched rails going into hard edged 3 fin bonzer tail.

Since there is the thruster hull (Pescado), why not a bonzer hull? The bonzer is more like a single fin and seems suited for a semi-hull type board.

Jim