post Hull pics

from pierpontscott

matt’s liddle hulls and a velo. (posted above too)

Ok heeer we go. No short answers and properly phrased to eliminate all confusion or couched in CYA (Cover Your Ass) so that there is no communication whatsoever.

I don’t know who coined the “Transitional Displacement Hull” term. It was applied by Greg Liddle at his website Liddlesurfboards.com and seemed to work for me and most other riders of these craft. To me (and me only, there can be no substitutes) it aptly describes the difference between a flat bottomed surfboard that planes up quickly and a round bottomed board that planes poorly yet when put on a rail or in trim (not the sled like trim I see you do in your movies but a lateral trim on a much steeper faced wave) performs (again, for me) in a much more rewarding manner.

An egg, to me (and me only) is a surfboard with a round outline, egg shaped neutral rails and a flat bottom with a lot of rocker. These boards have a modern foil (tapered). The boards we ride share similar outlines and basic rail design but differ in the bottom (convex transitioning to flat), rocker (none), and foil (S-Deck with pinched rails and tail). The most telling difference is that an egg rail-turns like crap and is easy to ride. Our boards rail-turn extremely well and are very difficult to ride.

My definition (and mine only) of a “longboard” is a surfboard within a couple feet of 11 feet long and no shorter than 9 feet. The outlines would mimic those boards in common use in the early 60 to mid 60’s with certain tweeks to update fins, rails and foil. Rockers in these boards are measured in inches. Your boards fall into the royboard category which is an entirely different animal in which you relish and to which you should be proud. Your rockers are measured in feet, your outlines are drawn out teardrops which resemble Hawaiian guns or post modern visions of Flash Gordon. Your “short board” (by your own admission) is 9’ long. The most telling difference is that a longboard makes relatively short radius, fully banked turns, usually requires a fair bit of milling about to trim them in different conditions, and are frequently nose ridden. A royboard (from seeing your videos only) makes long radius, flattish turns, trims and turns from pretty much the same aft position, and cannot be nose ridden. I make no qualifications with regard to the performance of any of these surfboards as they are within the purview of the riders themselves and are dependent upon variables such as wave conditions, rider experience, and personal preference.

In conclusion:

1. The term “transitional displacement hull” works for me.

2. An egg is not a “transitional displacement hull”.

3. A longboard is not a royboard.

4. A royboard may be a “transitional displacement hull” because you say so and the fact that you turn and trim from the same place on the board.

5. Unfortunately, a word means anything I want it to mean to me once I define it.

There you have it. It will be pointless to argue since I have defined my terms. No amount of truth or logic will pervert my opinion. And to me, the only opinion that counts…is mine.

Roy, you have never hit a discordant note; perhaps out of pitch but never out of tune. Gobbledegook is wonderful! If it wasn’t, why would all of our politicians speak it so well…

Finally, I think time would be much better spent defining “to baste one’s laps”…

“… here is that picture of “siglo 21” 19.25 x 23 x 17 stub i took to australia, shown as a shaped blank here with it’s distant cousin the “magic carpet” from the 70’s?”

Photo courtesy Alex Kopps

“… fin set up photos of the 5’10”, i’m running a fin that is slightly shorter and has more area now… seems better. although, that set up works with some special attention."

“…some photos off the TV of some of my rides at a point break in mexico and some frame grabs of the 5’10”… it goes like a bat out of hell."

Photos courtesy Alex Kopps

“…we finally got the Balsa Simmons built. Pretty true to spec from John Elwell’s 9’ dual fin.”

Richard Kenvin

Photo courtesy Richard Kenvin - http://www.hydrodynamica.com/

Dale thats weird you posted that today , I just found out yesterday the guy who started the old shaped blank next to Siglo over 30 yrs ago died , Steve Wimple a super good Malibu surfer and Liddle rider . RIP.

Hi Kirk,

Strange… for some reason, today felt like the day to post those pics. I’m very sorry to hear about Steve Wimple. Do you have any photos or stories to share about him?

FYI… Alex sent me his photos on May 26, 2006. Richard Kenvin sent his on December 27, 2005.

Hey LeeV, you just coined a term… royboard.

Thanks for clearing that up Lee … . nice that we have some ‘hull’ pics showing the bottoms rather than just the planshapes. . . . I still maintain that I make longboards but as long as I know what you mean by longboard then there’s no confusion. . .

Regarding lateral on rail trim on steep walls, my boards love that kind of thing, but alas, no steep waves recently, they are capable of it though. . . (narrow tails with soft rails)

The ‘hulls’ are very interesting, I imagine that they give the feel of a lower centre of gravity and a smooth rail to rail movement.

thanks for replying, I had my hard hat on, I’ll take it off now

Roy

:slight_smile:

The Siglo board was Alexs idea to make a standup board like Velo. Steve Krejewski and Alex did the template and Klaus Jones foiled and put the bottom and hull in and finished the rest . Ive seen a little footage of Alex riding it on good quality point surf and it really looks fun.

Lee, you should post more. This is good stuff.

Steve Krejewski and Greg Liddle were the 2 guys at Malibu that I could relate to with my flexspoons.

Their boards and the way they rode Malibu was much more in “tune” with the wave than the other

surfers.

3 more hulls - one on the left a sister to Matt’s spoon above and the others distant cousins(all made by PG).

flexspoon: could you post the pic again? for some reason it doens’t appear on my screen - browser maybe?. (IE or Firefox - tried both)

I used to surf Malibu on my flexspoon in the early '70s. Greg Liddle and Steve Krejewski were riding their Liddle hulls with big

flex fins and some with flex tails patterned after George Greenough’s hulls and fins. Naturally we got together. I still find it

difficult to watch surfers on waves because so few carve like a flexspoon. Liddles boards(and hulls in general?) carve and take

the same lines as a flexspoon(Velo model - not edge board). Leashes ended my days surfing Malibu(and in my mind ruined all of surfing).

klaus jones.

in a couple different articles i’ve seen the term “eating possum”. what’s that all about?

I thought everyone but me knew that. Insider information. Is there a club to join before that is revealed? If so, count me out

Roger

Oh Roger, stop being such a Pussy. I just couldnt help it to easy of a setup.

"The Valley Rippers and Possum Eating Boyz"

Talk about displacement!!

Love Ya Kirk

Roger

This is a single fin I had a while ago.

i ate possum once with steve out on the point in the early 70’s. sort of tastes sticky and they’re a bitch to catch if you hunt them in the traditional manner… like steve and i did that day.

ok, now that we’ve got that out of the way…what is the story behind “gothic dolphins”?