Random Photos From The Low Tech Lab

Here’s that Catamaran.  It was on ly $9,900.  Now I would totally buy it.Phil Edwards Cat for sale | Swaylock’s Surfboard Design Forum

A friend of mine has a boat. It's up in Oxnard...Looking forward to surfing C street more often.......

I can't get away from this vac bag stuff......Ha Ha Ha........Help me..... I need to get back to Air Brushing!!!!

I'm getting  sucked into this big vac bag thing.....It's a fun ride...learning alot of stuff......

Kensurf donated some veneer to the Lab...OK Ken,,,,, I went for it....awesome wood.....Thanks Ken

The bag works...it has micro leaks.....So... the pump keeps running but the skin lays down tight.

ZEBRA 68 is the name of this board.....US blanks 6'10" EPS with stringer

Final shape 6'8" x 22" x 3".  Rails are in the reshape /spackle stage. Rails will get painted. Wood has 4oz cloth under.....no delams this time.....here's a deck photo....

Nice board stingray! I’m not far away from my first vac bag job so I have a couple of questions.

Did you use divinycell or similar on the rails or is it the eps? Do you thing carbon fibre tape would work here instead of divinycell etc?

thanks,

Mick

[quote="$1"]

Nice board stingray! I'm not far away from my first vac bag job so I have a couple of questions.

Did you use divinycell or similar on the rails or is it the eps? Do you thing carbon fibre tape would work here instead of divinycell etc?

thanks,

Mick

[/quote]

well well well.....funny you asked...We are the Low Tech Lab.....the rails are foam and fiberglass. Nothing else. We want quality without problems. Getting a good wood skin deck and bottom without problems is hard work....As soon as you wrap the rails with something else you go Hi-Tech and get problems....lots of problems....Carbon looks neat....

I will bite my tounge now....Ray

after all that you dont get it   i am saying lets see surfboard makers showing there stuff on the general theres to much  ohh how do i mix my resin

or some other crap by lazy sods that will not do a search      preety boring sh##t after a while

mybe i could show how to shape a log with a stanly blade

**and mybe the reason you cant sell your boards is                             the same thats happing everywhere    to many geting made by those that have not paid there dues     

have job do you?

Preach it brother Ray! =)

Board looks good.

Ah cool, I like it simple :slight_smile:

With the wood skins, did you lap the ‘under’ glass cloth around the rails for each skin? I was thinking of doing something like this at least with the bottom skin just to beef up the rails to match the top and bottom toughness, that with the final lam should make them pretty strong.

cheers,

Mick.

Looks  good Ray !

haaa’’ 21 pages of self promotion  and theres a scream about    dead shaper

then it must be time to put this thing to bed

** cheers huie

Stoked for you Ray!  I’m hooked.  The possibilities are endless.  You’ll see.  

The board looks really nice!

glad to see you got around to using that veneer

wait till it wets out,,,,, that wood will Pop!

Haaa…

Tisk / Tisk…

I truly hope that’s not directed at me… If you’re baiting me  I’m not playing that game anymore…lol

Apples to oranges…  Ray’s a backyard hack like the rest of us and I don’t think he’s selling anything for profit…

And I think there’s more than one boardbuilder involved… I could be wrong??

I was only paying my respects… Besides  I’ve probably learned more from this thread…

[/quote]

Haaa…

Tisk / Tisk…

I truly hope that’s not directed at me… If you’re baiting me  I’m not playing that game anymore…lol

not at all you are touchy

Apples to oranges…  Ray’s a backyard hack like the rest of us and I don’t think he’s selling anything for profit…

And I think there’s more than one boardbuilder involved… I could be wrong??

I was only paying my respects… Besides  I’ve probably learned more from this thread…

if you want to learn check the archives

[/quote]

i am saying that if a thread can go on by one person for this long

then no one should be worried that a guy try ing to scratch out a living run a similer thread

and dont bullshit me about you hackers you all sell boards when you can?

i am just saying it as it is        by the way       the coil thread should be back on here     there is no difference

**cheers huie

not at all you are touchy

if you want to learn check the archives

i am saying that if a thread can go on by one person for this long

then no one should be worried that a guy try ing to scratch out a living run a similer thread

and dont bullshit me about you hackers you all sell boards when you can?

i am just saying it as it is        by the way       the coil thread should be back on here     there is no difference

**cheers huie

The Low Tech Lab is four people. Mainly Mark and Ray but Tim and Scott build boards here too. There is a Lower Tech Lab down in San Diego that is a cool place to hang out with other backyard board builders. We do epoxy they do poly. I don't have a problem if the general public wants this thread to stop. It's been a fun ride and a fun thread to post our stuff.

...But Huie....

There is a big difference between this thread and the threads you mention. And I'm not bagging on those threads....We have no sales reps, no retail space, no warehouse, no orders or order forms, no web page or facebook link, no comissions, no taxes, no profit, and no customers. As a matter of fact we have done such a poor job in marketing our product we don't even care any more. There's 6 brand new surfboards sitting here that we can't give away. Trust me Huie, The Low Tech Lab is not stealing customers from Coil or Deadshaper and we are not under cutting the local pro....

...and...The Coil thread got moved but it is still alive and well.....

Stingray........

PS...Hey McDing....look out for the UPS guy Monday or Tuesday

And one more thing.....I would really love to see a Huie Thread.

You know what I mean????

A thread with photos and comments about all the really awesome stuff Huie does......

......on my computer.....when Huie posts a surfboard the background always looks like an acid trip...Am I the only one who sees that?

Ray

I have a job. I understand your comments. No one at the Lab wants to become a pro surfer or pro shaper. We are not at the top of our game. And LAZY. Don't even think about calling Ray, Mark, Tim or Scott LAZY.  And we don't sell boards because we don't care about selling boards. You are barking up the wrong tree.

Send your complaints to Mr Swaylock's and the Moderators......

I can shape a log with a Stanley Blade, so can most of my friends....I know you can too.Why the bitter old man stuff?

I know you have a heart made of gold. I've seen it. You are a good man Huie. The people at the Low Tech Lab are paying their dues. One board at a time. So much to learn. No GSI stuff over here......