Random Photos From The Low Tech Lab

Fake stringers, too much or to little tint ???? .....backyard.....eps or poly blank?

three backyard boards with epoxy resin......one eps blank and 2 poly blanks.....can you pick out the EPS blank ???

purple heart?

I got some full dimensional 2’‘x4’‘x4’

purple heart from a tradde many years ago…

any body in the vacinity goin san diego way/

still needy?wanna trade?

dony know if the bugs got em…

…ambrose…

long live the low tech lab.

Hello Ambrose...If you can get the Purple Heart to California....Keith and Ray will share it with Swaylock's Brothers all over the West Coast....Do you live near Bernie?   Sounds like Oneula and his Bro are headed to San Diego....

Low Tech Lab shirts are on back order right now...I'll work on getting one for you!!!  Stay stoked Ambrose.....

.......epoxy swirls....it can be done.

It's not about right or wrong...it's an exchange of ideas...here's a set of photos showing a way to do a cut lap................not how I do it...maybe I need to change my ways...........

Pull the tape up from the bare foam...make a cut every 12-18 inches....

thanks , Ray !

I always enjoy this and the 'what are you working on ' thread , and check them when I'm here at sways

keep up the good work ... and the photos of it !

cheers

ben

fun day

Great day at the Lab lotsa good food and times yesterday we shaped we glassed and we did ding reapair. Still had time to eat fish, shrimp, crab tacos and brauts and dogs. good friends Keith, Brad,Tim,Holden, myself and of course our wonderful host Stingray.

Oneula had, may still have, purple heart veneer. The stuff from Joe Veneer. He made at least one compsand with it. I think it was over an early Marko EPS blank. Not sure if he still has it, sold it, or gave the board away.

I think we still get choke veneer, but not sure what flavors. He gave a bunch to Jim Richardson, the local Marko rep, and we made several ready to go skins, but I know we still had a bunch left when we made the skins. I have some dark colored wood, and a lighter one that’s mainly used for backing. We made a bunch of skins with glass on one side ready to cut to size and vacuum onto boards, then he just stopped. 5 boards half way done been sitting in storage for a couple of years. He’s threatening to get back into vacuum bagging boards and I think it’s going to be full on as usual. The guy can’t do ones or twos, always too many at one time.

If you guys do vacuum bagging, he may have some goodies. I just saw him the other day and he had all kinds of exotic materials he had forgotten about. He had a big sheet of that honeycomb looking stuff.

Keith, Ray, Jay, you guys have one month to give us a wish list of stuff to bring over. As they say here, if can, can… if no can, no can.

sorry

I ended up giving all my purpleheart veneer to Jim Richardson and Jeff Johnson at surflight almost 10 years ago.

it was too hard to work with and came out dark too

I do have some wide sheets of tulipwood, cypress, sycamore and I think chechen? from the veneer store

here’s some practical everyday stuff I made from regular tulipwood stock

I like the way it finishes out with just some wax finish but under 12 glass coats of CA glue its amazing

be nice to have a board that looks like this too

boards seem so “yesterday” when you start making smiles that can actually fit in a small gift box.

t1

t2

the clocks are made from the remain of the bangles. thought of making fancy FCS plug inserts for EPS foam but didn’t see a market for that…

t3

t4

t5

still ahve also some ultra small quantities of ebony, red cedar and rosewood (small woodcraft veneer packs)

some 6"x48" cherry and walnut packs from woodcraft.

I think we prepped some makore and mahogany for timberflex 2ox/4oz backing 5+ years ago

personally I prefer the cleaner look of birdseye and curly maple under fiberglass or curly koa/mango and our 1/8" thick wormholed wiliwili under epoxy

I think I ended up giving away the board to the son of one of the ladies in the office for christmas years ago

1/24"-1/42" veneering is humbug unless you are applying it to an already glassed board or timberflex it

we sure did allot stupid things over the years…

still are

I guess

gold mettalic marker pen to cover up the sand thrus you need 6oz or double 4oz layers over it not 2oz

oneula you have some talent!

Kind regards,

surfding

8' x 24" x 3 1/2"....EPS / Epoxy....teardrop stepdeck nose.......fabric inlay.........go surfing....surfing is fun!

bitchin’ prone riding candidate

laying body in

scooped out deck

forward trim

zowie a -go - go…

…ambrose…

small Terramar...last week

....nice !!

how did it ride ...didya have fun on it , Ray ?

any shots of it in action , please ?

cheers mate

ben