Random Photos From The Low Tech Lab

very cool!

diggin' the logo

S’Ray, Go to: www.rockler.com and click on the “outlet” page. There are several bits on sale for under $10.00 ea! They are Porter Cable brand and are plenty good for surfboard work. You don’t see carbide bits this cheap very often, at least not good ones. Also, you might want to drop a little note to Santa to monitor Craig’s List tools for sale. I just scored a 3 1/4 H.P. Porter Cable plunge router for $125.00. Great Deal.

Update....

...The fin box on the green board got installed and sanded down last week....

..I Capped the box and glassed over the tail block Monday 11-8-10....I'll hot coat the cap this week and turn the board over to MarkSSD for final sanding Friday or Sat.

The Red board is getting fine tuned....I went ahead and ordered a vented leash plug from GreenLight.......Got my order in less than one week....good stuff....

[quote="$1"]

I have a couple old stanleys that could use some TLC.

Is this a *thing* for you guys?

Might be in San Diego on Saturday....shall I drop them off?

[/quote]

The Lab is closed this weekend. I'll be working 8-10 hour shifts somewhere in Carlsbad both Sat and Sun.......

...I have to take a break sooner or later....you can contact me...I'll be about 3 miles from Tamarack.....If you're not in a hurry the Lab workers will give those O'le Stanleys the love they need...........Ray

Had to come back for some inspiration.  Your threads are always a good place for that. 

On one hand I'm very Strict and Precise.....Glassing / Painting ....perfect outline...dust control....

On the other hand I'm totally random and Haphazard....blank selection / blank building...project planning....art work...fin set up...ect....I like to have  plan...but you just never Know....That's what makes it fun for me....The longboard blanks were Random...The boards are looking really good...The next Stingray shortboard is in the works...Random...

...............................Oh yeah......Mark and I are restoring a couple of old hand planes......................

Having fun...Stingray

I finished the little one tonight.........some sanding...some WD 40..some elbow grease....lots of oil....a little buffing compound.....and....LOVE.....I did not repaint this Hand Plane......

Mark gets to sand off all the rust on the big Hand plane...:)

I have a couple old stanleys that could use some TLC.

Is this a thing for you guys?

Might be in San Diego on Saturday…shall I drop them off?

Howzit stingray, I have all those except for  nice new pair of Ray Bans. The Iwata Airbrush costs about $65 from Bear Air, just do a web search and get a cactlog from them nd the air brush world will be at your feet. There are expensive Iwatas but the basic one will do most detail work. But they do have some that are unreal and cost that much bt are so so worth it if you need one.Aloha,Kokua

Mark...thanks for working on the new logo

TBlank...thanks for the link....

...and Mr Thrailkill....We were just talking about you Sunday night.....all good....

Red Fin.......fin rope...2 layers 8 oz...5 layers 6 oz...staggered...I'm working with epoxy so I got some cloudy crap on the last piece of 6oz....I may do some grinding and add some more cloth.....

Greenboard......well.....The extra plug can't hurt...right?????

[quote="$1"]

Howzit stingray, I have all those except for  nice new pair of Ray Bans. The Iwata Airbrush costs about $65 from Bear Air, just do a web search and get a cactlog from them nd the air brush world will be at your feet. There are expensive Iwatas but the basic one will do most detail work. But they do have some that are unreal and cost that much bt are so so worth it if you need one.Aloha,Kokua

[/quote]

Hi Mike  ,we must have been typing at the same time.....I'll check out Bear Air...Thanks for the info

Ray, you've been busy!  What's the black material you used for the stringer and tail block on the coke bottle green long board?  Is it PVC foam?  Looks great whatever it is.  And I'm guessing the lightest colored wood in the tail block is paint stir sticks.  Is that right?

StinkBug Returns to Swaylock's!!!!

Hi Tom...hope all is well...You were way ahead of the curve with your stringerless EPS Fish.

The Black is the PVC....We have enough left over for maybe two fish or shortboards...free if you want it....stir sticks and redwood make the rest of the tailblock!

BUMP

I was joking around when I posted my Wish List....

Santa Claus is a Swaylock's member. I belive in Santa Claus. Thank you Santa! I about fainted when I opened the package....I'm stoked...Thank you very much. Thank you.

iwata Revolution BCR

Howzit stingray, That looks exactly like the one I have. That is a wonderful airbrush and it is simple to use and easy to clean. I make a 50/50 mix of water and Simple / Green. After using mine I would run clean water thru it then run the mix thru it.After you run the cleaner thru the rig about five times or haven't used it for a while then do a complete break down clean on it. One of the companies makes a lubricant like a thick oil that is great for the needle that I liked to use. If this is your first air brush then just be careful with the needle, if you drop it or bend it will most likely get bent and you need to get a straight one, But I have never bent one but I know new needles are not that expensive. One more thing and that is get more bottles, you'll need them. I just remembered somethig, Get a 8oz plastic bottle with a tapered tip and put the 50/50 mix in that so you can actually squeeze the cleaner and force the mix thru sprayer for a better clean. Another tip is when done using it ,back the needle out so the metal s are not touching.When painting you can set the spray fan and just press the trigger down and not pull it back to alter fan spray. Aloha ,Kokua

Same one I have. Nice Lab Equipement!

Wow! Santa Claus started his journey very early this year…

GREAT thread , RAy !!

THANKS for sharing , mate !!

keep the photos and the stoke coming

I wish I could be there to do some fin stuff and have a surf with you .

[ you can always come here if you like , one day ?1]

cheers and keep up the good work

ben chipman