show us your shaping stands...

hey those with the lawn chairs looks like a really good idea actually, never would have thought about that…good idea you had there…

also love the racks posted after with the bends to set the rail in, im gonna go straight with mine though, its enough work as is… im going to try and finally make some progress tonight and the next couple of days…

Funny this thread came back up…I’m literally sitting in my garage waiting for my dang electric drill’s battery to charge. Making some new stands (bucket/concrete variety)…And then I also made a seperate glassing rack based on a pic of StingRay’s that he posted in some old thread. The glassing stand is done and came out strong and perfect. Now I won’t get big 'ol dings in my shaped blank from excess hardened resin on my shaping stands…LOL

Did a search for “show me your shaping bay”. Here’s the link…

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=190067;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

My shaping and glassing racks are based on Home Depot saw horses. Easy to move around when non surfboard stuff needs to be done. Easy to throw in the back of the truck to take to a friends house. Easy to convert back to saw horse when needed. I even built an extra tall/wide/long rack that a space heater fits under for doing epoxy glass jobs.

Fun fun fun

Ray

Every stand turns 360

Adjustable in height

Adjustable distance between the 2 stands

4 positions for bottom

4 positions for top, lots of shaping options

50mm thick-wide wood stands

Fully welded iron coated with ZINK spray

Adjustable with screw system

Custom made for my B’day (250€)

Finished first compsand too

I had the same thought. Nice to see it works before i give it a try.

This is my set of compact collapsable racks.  They are built from 3/4 MDF shelves from Home Depot.  They are extremely strong.  I can stand on them.  They are also very heavy so they are very stable.  They come apart in seconds for storage by just pulling the 4 pins.  I've built a half dozen boards and done numerous repairs on these racks.  By the way, total cost to built these racks was $24.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/mako224/100_1918.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/mako224/100_1921.jpg[/IMG]

shaping rack

Nice stands! I did somethin similar awile back- with 2 -5 gal gal bucks, used 4X4 for main posts, and used 3/4" plywood for the “u” shaped supports, and used carpet pieces for padding. That said, I like your design better- good job!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/mako224/100_1921.jpg[/IMG]

Mako, did the $24 include that lovely coat of peach paint or was that left over from a bathroom restoration? haha

I draw for a living and make boards as a hobby. Thats gotta help when it comes to shaping stands.

The drawing is for steel adjustable stands.

They work great and can handle up to a standard malibu down to a small board.

Interchange with the glassing inserts and they do it all for the average back yard shaper/glasser.

Ideal for both shaping and glassing heights when adjusted to your height.

Based on stands you can buy but these only cost me $80 for materials and got help with the welding.

Its all in metric so if you end up with huge shaping stands then you better buy a mtric tape measure.

Nice drawings hardline - think i might head down to the steel supplier and bust out the old welder to replace my old bucket racks in my new bay.

Made this today, in about 1 hour. In hopes of spending money at Greelightsurfsupply.com on their beginner shaping kit. I added some egg foam to stand but did not take pictures.

[img_assist|nid=1060620|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0]

[img_assist|nid=1060619|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0]

Here are mine. Designed them using Google SketchUp then built them over the course of a week of nights out in the dimly lit shed. High on my priority list is to get some decent side lighting…

[img_assist|nid=1061023|title=Shaping Racks 1|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=401|height=531]

[img_assist|nid=1061024|title=Shaping Racks 2|desc=Extendable length|link=none|align=left|width=403|height=304]

[img_assist|nid=1061025|title=Shaping Racks 3|desc=Shaping bay doubles as homebrew/moonshine brewhaus|link=none|align=left|width=403|height=533]

[img_assist|nid=1061026|title=Shaping Racks 4|desc=Adjustable height|link=none|align=left|width=400|height=529]

[img_assist|nid=1061027|title=Shaping Racks 5|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=403|height=304]

I sacrificed an old short-arm steamer to pad the top. It was cactus anyway and it makes for a great non-slip surface.

You can buy these at Greenlight Surf Supply, fully adjustable in and out and up and down, also flips over for glassing racks, I beat the crap out of these on a daily basis, very sturdy all hand made by one of Brian’s friend here in the great USA.

Tom

E tjrm63…those are state of the art racks; the flip option from shaping to glassing is beautiful for those of us with only one room to work with; now …to figure out how to make the same thing out of wood…thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks guys, I’m very happy with them and again you can purchase these through Greenlight Surf Supply

Tom

I really like Balsa's racks. Thw "W" shape allows for easier access to the rails. There are good photos of it on the "Bing Pipliner East" thread. He mentioned that he would go with heavier gauge material next time to eliminate flex. A VERY helpful man Mr. Balsa is.

20180101_181631
I’ve made a few versions of these over the years, I should probably make a new set someday soon incorporating a few ergonomic changes.

hey TJRM - I like that reversible feature - and the height adjustment too!

They look a bit prettier in the glassing config…

[img_assist|nid=1061751|title=Glassing stands|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]