SHOW YOUR COLOR!! - tints, swirls, paint, art, lams, let's see what you got

first attempt at pigmented resin, and cut lap…not too happy with the bottom, but the deck came out ok…epoxy on EPS, kinda groveler type board…will be doing more resin color work, now that I have a feel for it…

mango tint

Beautiful board Zackoopman

blast from my past(some of them anywho)

Dude no freaking way! How did you do the paper-lantern board? I can tell it’s hollow ribs, but did you paint the rice paper first and then inlay it or somehow paint this onto the glass??? I’m just amazed how you get so may translucent parts and so many opaque parts to make it look like an actual paper lantern!

the graphics were applied with colored tissue, no paint.

Nice to have artists in the family, this one is by my eldest daughter.

Nice.

I love kid art.

This was a tribute board for the guy standing next to it.

His dad was an admiral.

All work done myself.

Including balsa stringer.

nice board Barry.  I have surfed with the guy holding that board… he shows up at my spot on big days.  Well, here’s a quad 7’2" I just glossed.

Nice one as well Keith.

Looks like it’s on fire!

PU or Epoxy?

Yup it’s supposed to look like fire, the dark spots are smoke tint…Over two yellow pigments, some white, red tint and red pigment …a combo slob job…six ounce bottom, 6/4 deck, black pinlines on the deck, and McKee quad fin placement.   Waiting for a good swell to get it wet!

Here are some newish ones.

Both Still in progress pics!

Austin

Are handplanes allowed? Hopefully these are sized small enough…this was my first go at resin tinting, I actually tinted it with the same paint I used for the pinstriping, 1 shot emerald green mixed in the laminating resin. Hotcoated and sanded, pinstriped and then gloss coated. I got a bad reaction from the gloss coat over some of the black pinstriping, it lifted and wrinkled so I sanded it and re-coated it. Don’t think I let the 1 shot dry long enough, but c’est la vie, it’s all trial and error for me.

Jon - looks pretty sweet. A tip with 1 shot. Put it on after the gloss coat.  You will feel a ridge but that’s all good.

Lacquer based under poly resin = bleeding and cracking 

I would also skip the 1 shot in the resin and use the proper resin tints.

@WideAWAKE, thank you for the tips! They are appreciated. I Did another one that I finished today, the exact same process, but let sit for a little longer after striping and had no problems. I’ll be heading to the local surf supply today, and will pick up a color or two of the proper tints to play with.

Laid down all of the checks and pins for this 9’ 8" noserider using resin and LOTS of tape. :) 

This was kind of different from the norm. Spray, on poly

I made three more of these using proper tint in the laminating resin, the difference from using paint was superb! Also put some glitter in the hot coat, just more experimenting.

Pretty fun-

green machine…