Swayloholic East meeting

I’ve done some poking around on this. Cape Woods Campground seems to be the best in the area and is open year-round. A similar campground, Frisco Woods, holds a big windsurfing “Windfest” every April. (Frisco Woods has Sound water access). Camp owners are probably receptive to the idea. Hopefully someone local who helps to organize that also surfs/shapes. Usually one one hurricane a season comes close to Hatteras. Frisco produces nice clean waves during a blown-out north swell. Man, haven’t been down there for 15 years. Stoked just thinking about it. Rob Olliges http://www.capewoods.com/

I’m all for the Outer Banks as it is centrally located… would not complain about around Jax, FL as it would be a lot closer. Regardless… I’m there!

I’m all for the Outer Banks as it is centrally located… would not complain about around Jax, FL as it would be a lot closer. Regardless… I’m there!

Once again I feel responsible for opening my mouth and suggesting a swayloholic’s anonymus East. So here goes. We will need to get organized and work together if this is going to happen. Pete any help will be greatly. Is there anyone else that would like to help? The first thing that needs addressing is a location. The Outer Banks seems to be the most popular location so far and for good reason. I’ve never been there and other than the surf I don’t know anything about the place. Whatever location we chose we need someone familiar with the place to to make campsite arrangements. To keep things fair, we should take a poll and see where most people would like to meet. Here goes… Outer Banks NJ NY RI Any other suggestions? After a site is chons? Next we need to chose a time of year and a date. Remember I’am a teacher and Id like to attend the event.

Once again I feel responsible for opening my mouth and suggesting a swayloholic’s anonymus East. So here goes. We will need to get organized and work together if this is going to happen. Pete any help will be greatly. Is there anyone else that would like to help? The first thing that needs addressing is a location. The Outer Banks seems to be the most popular location so far and for good reason. I’ve never been there and other than the surf I don’t know anything about the place. Whatever location we chose we need someone familiar with the place to to make campsite arrangements. To keep things fair, we should take a poll and see where most people would like to meet. Here goes… Outer Banks NJ NY RI Any other suggestions? After a site is chons? Next we need to chose a time of year and a date. Remember I’am a teacher and Id like to attend the event.

Well since I am not going to make it out to Cali, I am planning a trip up to OBX Sept1-10. Plan on camping most of that time. I have never been there so I will be checking things out. Will post up here as to what I find that may be of help to whoever takes charge of this thing. Would be stoked to have the 2nd annual on the eastside. ed

Well since I am not going to make it out to Cali, I am planning a trip up to OBX Sept1-10. Plan on camping most of that time. I have never been there so I will be checking things out. Will post up here as to what I find that may be of help to whoever takes charge of this thing. Would be stoked to have the 2nd annual on the eastside. ed

the OBX is a great place to relax and surf. there are a bunch of good breaks all within a short distance of each other. when me and my crew go down we stay at the KOA campsite. nice and clean…the campsite has it’s own private beach and a well known break. check surfline under KOA…the OBX has a great beach community, not very touristy. my vacation is spent or i would help set this up. maybe spring time. more notice

the OBX is a great place to relax and surf. there are a bunch of good breaks all within a short distance of each other. when me and my crew go down we stay at the KOA campsite. nice and clean…the campsite has it’s own private beach and a well known break. check surfline under KOA…the OBX has a great beach community, not very touristy. my vacation is spent or i would help set this up. maybe spring time. more notice

i’m up for planning a big get together for next spring/fall. sounds like OBX is the winner. maybe a small get together next month or Oct??

i’m up for planning a big get together for next spring/fall. sounds like OBX is the winner. maybe a small get together next month or Oct??

So far I have not received many responses for Swayloholics East. Give me some input for your favorite site. I do believe that it will take place sometime in the summer of '04. Lets get the ball rolling. I still need committed volunteers to help with organizing this thing.

So far I have not received many responses for Swayloholics East. Give me some input for your favorite site. I do believe that it will take place sometime in the summer of '04. Lets get the ball rolling. I still need committed volunteers to help with organizing this thing.

Phil, with respect to your schedule and the fact that you actually brought this up recently in another thread here are a few of reasons why Hatteras in the summer is not a great idea: tourist, mosquitos, not the best surf. Althought it’s a long distance for most people it’s still the mecca of an East coast surf trip. Scenery by West coast standards is almost non-existant. But going there in the summer, without surf and loads of tourist, is really not worth it. Easter, Thanksgiving, X-mas can be good and are sure to eliminate the tourist and mosquitos. Rob Olliges

Phil, with respect to your schedule and the fact that you actually brought this up recently in another thread here are a few of reasons why Hatteras in the summer is not a great idea: tourist, mosquitos, not the best surf. Althought it’s a long distance for most people it’s still the mecca of an East coast surf trip. Scenery by West coast standards is almost non-existant. But going there in the summer, without surf and loads of tourist, is really not worth it. Easter, Thanksgiving, X-mas can be good and are sure to eliminate the tourist and mosquitos. Rob Olliges

Phil - Tend to agree with Rob on Hatteras in the summer. Last time I was there (9/89) had to run full bore to the beach through swarms of mosquitos the size of horse flies. Focus now should be to set a firm date and site. A three day low key holiday type time would be the thing - Columbus day in Oct? Too late to probably pull it together for this year but, it’s a good time for waves, warm water, no crowds, good fishing if no waves and plenty of time to organize it. Checked out the KOA referred to above and it could be a good spot as it has tenting,campers and some cabins for those who might have wives/kids looking for comfort with the ocean right there. Just my thoughts - Pete

Phil - Tend to agree with Rob on Hatteras in the summer. Last time I was there (9/89) had to run full bore to the beach through swarms of mosquitos the size of horse flies. Focus now should be to set a firm date and site. A three day low key holiday type time would be the thing - Columbus day in Oct? Too late to probably pull it together for this year but, it’s a good time for waves, warm water, no crowds, good fishing if no waves and plenty of time to organize it. Checked out the KOA referred to above and it could be a good spot as it has tenting,campers and some cabins for those who might have wives/kids looking for comfort with the ocean right there. Just my thoughts - Pete

Fall works well, tourist aregone and the waters not freezing yet. Rentals are cheap and plentiful. It’ll be fun to connect faces with names…set the date.

Fall works well, tourist aregone and the waters not freezing yet. Rentals are cheap and plentiful. It’ll be fun to connect faces with names…set the date.

Fall is a good time to go to OBX, good fishing, nice weather and the possiblility of good waves. Also a strong possiblility we will have to be evacatuated due to a hurricane, it happens. I’ve been going to OBX since the late 70’s and there is no finer place to camp than at the National Campground in Frisco. It is on the beach, have had good waves right there, close to both Frisco pier and the lighthouse. All the campsites are set in the dunes and you can see the lighthouse beacon at night. Only drawback is that there are only cold showers. So buy a solar shower and you are good. Just my opinion. Frank