THE NEW "show me your shaping bay" forum

Just got it finished, hope the paint ain’t too bright!

**Outside of the shaping room…Glenn Miyasaki’s room, Moiliili, Hawaii. www.Dingdesigns.net

**[img_assist|nid=1061228|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640][img_assist|nid=1061229|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640][img_assist|nid=1061239|title=|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

http://www.quivermag.com/node/676

Herb's room

thanks huck !

herb

back in the garage[img_assist|nid=1061317|title=back yard shop|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=75|height=100]

back yard

remove “thumbnail” from the url to show full sized pic

You bet! Very similar situation to what I started with. I’ll dig up an old pic. Instead of shaping for awhile I just concentrated my time and money on making my shack work for me…if you want it you can do it!

The idea for the light boxes came from several that I saw here on sways.

This is all I have to work with right now. Just an area being renovated in my house. Work with what you got. 

Howzit huck, It kind of looks like you might need to lower your side lights a little. Aloha,Kokua

Nice shack. Were did you get the design idea for the light box inclosures?

Thanks for the compliments! The answer to your question is no It’s not divided but it could be. I make mostly 9-6 LBs, the board in the pics is an 8’ fish. If I shaped and glassed mostly short boards I could easily divide the room in half. The overall building is 12’x20’ The cabinets on each end are 24" deep and run the entire 12’ width. The UV cabinet is 12’ wide and 32" deep. The shaping lights are 8’ tubes. One fixed to the wall and the other is on castors so I can move it around and potentially shape some SUPs. I am planning on a small addition at some point just big enough to shape in. I will use this main part for glassing and vac bagging. Thanks again!

I thought I should post my shaping room even though it is only a short-term solution. If I keep my enthusiam up I will build it properly.

[img_assist|nid=1063549|title=shaping room 1|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

I have allocated a small space in my garage for this venture. The size of the room is 8’6" by 5’1" wall to wall and 4’5" between light shelves.

Thanks to Darren at Western Motorcycles Sydney for the donation of the bike crate, which I used to make the walls.

[img_assist|nid=1063550|title=Shaping room 2|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

I’m hoping to create a reasonable seal with tarps and utilize my dust extractor.

[img_assist|nid=1063551|title=shaping room 3|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

Thankfully, looks aren’t everything. The tarp walls were stapled on to the frame.

[img_assist|nid=1063552|title=shaping room 4|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

The walls are now in and just need to install lights and shelves.

[img_assist|nid=1063553|title=shaping room 5|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=480]

There it is. I have to shut the roller door to reduce any ambient light and while being a compact environment the blue walls and lighting make it absolutely workable.

Since I will only be building kneeboards the length of the room will suit me perfectly.

Here you go a lil harbor frieght special and some garage glassing. Car canopy with the enclosure kit, then just hung tarps to blue room it out. Even layed down a heavy duty tarp for the floor. work great, just have to sweep after every board. I can't wait to build a permanent structure with a shaping and glassing bay.

Wow! Necessity is the mother of invention.

You must be my brother from another mother.

I’ll keep you posted. I’m trying to seal the room to get my dust extractor to work.

max

I'm not proud of it.

You’re innovations look so familiar.

As long as you are proud of the boards you make.

We don’t ride the shaping room.