THE NEW "show me your shaping bay" forum

My Shapin Shack:

The horizontal cabinet behind the board is my UV booth made from a tanning bed. See the timer?

holy shite, thats just a awesome job mate, truly one of the best layouts ive seen

Thanks di99er! It’s been a couple of years in the making and most… if not all of the elements came from right here on sways!

Hey Woody

Looks magnificent!!

I've a question;

what are the dimensions of your room?

is it sort of divided into two; glassing one side, shaping the other?

cheers

M

Hey Wavecraft! I went back and looked through the thread again…I must have copied yours…they are pretty close! I read so much I couldn’t remember “who” the poster was but it obviously was you!

Sorry I didn’t give you the props for that man! Belated Thanks!

Don (Woody) Woodruff

I thought they looked a little familiar. Good Job Woody.

Here’s my before picture I’ve digging for:

Wow, what a mess huh!

Wow woody, that is awesome. I dig the storage rack you have torwards the back. The space looks crappy but board looks great!

I actually turned out a few very nice boards from the “Old” shack. The quality aspect of the stuff I do now is far superior. Spend the time and a few bucks to do it right…makes a big difference.

Wow, nice place. Check out my new thread… Its the bonzer one and I just finished laminating it yesterday. Tell me what you think.

Nice, but what happened to all the dust?  Mike

Hey Mike,

Ha! The older I get the more OCD I get! Actually just cleaned up prior to glassing. But…I do keep it very clean these days. Suits me better…OCD and retired military…I just couldn’t take the mess anymore! One of my close friends is an ortho surgeon, he is also a long time surfer. He came over several times and watched me shape in the old shack and he loved it! He recently came over during another build. He looked around and just said " I see you figured some things out". That felt like the ultimate compliment!

mmmm, love a new shaping room!

w/flexy wood floors and pocket doors!  Love it!

Just finished my new glassing rack…it slips over my Foam EZ Shaping stands.

I wanted to protect the work I just put into the floor also (covered it in masonite for easier cleaning). Someone here inspired this design but I can’t find the thread to give them the credit they deserve. When I see something that will work for me I’ll knock it off in a heartbeat. So props to my swaylockian friends for continuing to inspire me with their creativity and innovation!

Oh yeah while it’s real big…I can glass a 10’2" board with it…it breaks down for storage!

really like the power sander racks Woody, I’m gonna have to try to copy those…giving you full credit of course

Ok see that router holder…I think that was me…the sanders…who knows… Ha! were they yours???

not mine, my sanders are in the foam dust on the floor, I am so ashamed!

Wow, all these shaping bays got me building one in my garage ! Got it framed,drywalled and ready for sand and paint 9 ft by 14 ft ,used two existing walls and built a 4 ft high wall to sub divide the garage . Got 2 questions if someone can help please , first is what is the best height in relation to the blank to place my side lights? And second what color is best for paint on walls. Thanks, and pics to follow shortly…

[quote="$1"] Wow, all these shaping bays got me building one in my garage ! Got it framed,drywalled and ready for sand and paint 9 ft by 14 ft ,used two existing walls and built a 4 ft high wall to sub divide the garage . Got 2 questions if someone can help please , first is what is the best height in relation to the blank to place my side lights? And second what color is best for paint on walls. Thanks, and pics to follow shortly.... [/quote]

I had to adjust mine several times to get them right for me.  Most guys would say mine are too high. That's because I'm 6'4" and my comfort level is higher off the floor. Adjustable shaping racks help also.  Just have to get them set close to what you think and then get a blank on the stands and play with it...the difference between having it right and wrong is stark. On the color...obviously most use blue...mine is called "Merlin" It's exterior house paint and the finish is flat to limit reflection of the light (got it at Lowe's). I also consulted my brother-in-law who is quite an accomplished photog (lighting is like a precise science to these guys) and he agreed that the color would be very optimal. After that he was speaking in another language! Good luck!