the " stubbie " photo thread...

Hey Cuttlefish, I just shaped something similar, but a bit shorter at 6’, just curious, where did you place your fins at? I was going to try bonzer, but the more I think about it I like the 2+1.

thanks…

You sir, give me too much credit.

It’s a SouthCoast Longboards DT slider model from Ian Chisholm in Torquay, Victoria.

Not being a shaper and so unfamiliar with plug placement measurements do you want a measurement from rear plug to tail?

After riding my 5-10 stubbie as a twinnie with a small trailer, I went back to a Greenough stage 4 with 2 small twinzer type sidebits.

The board works pretty good with this setup. It’s fast, loose and holds turns a little better. I wasn’t very happy with the twinny and trailer setup.

I rode this in nice head high waves and had a lot of fun. I even got a couple of shots on the chunsreef.net site.

nice !!

THANKS for resurrecting / resuscitating this thread , harry ! [and especially for the PHOTOS !!!]

i , too, like “Stubbies” [6’ and under] with small side fins , as well as riding them as ‘pure’ single fins .

cheers

ben

…while hicksy and i are working on one currently ,

has anyone ELSE been riding / making li’l stubbies lately ??

cheers

ben

Yes! I ride this one all the time - since 2006 - & I’ve been trying to post photos since then! Finally figured it out under the new system. Anyway, glad I could look all these years.

I’ve ridden this board in lots of different fin configurations & have found it to be one of my most loved boards ever, and certainly one of the most versitile too!

I cant believe I never saw this thread! I have posted pics of this board a few times in the last few days, but it definitely deserves a spot on this thread. Rode it today in waist high windswell at the crowded spot where all the college kids surf (me included). I won every paddle battle! Did a bit of sharing the waves too.

I pretty much only ride this board. Shaped by swaylockian Dennis Ryder. 6’ x 20 3/4" x 2 5/8".[img_assist|nid=1041272|title=DR Stubbie Quad|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=478|height=633]

that looks fun! but, is it squirrelly at all? what are the nose and tail dims, and what kind of bottom does he put on it? are the fins big up front, small trailers?

Computer generated outline?

Nose and tail dims… dont have em right now so let me just say WIDE!

As
for the setup, I just have thruster side fins in the front boxes (Both
of the hex core fiberglass fins it came with disapeared in the water,
the Ofishl tabs with this material were too brittle in my opinion).
The back fins are much smaller. It rides nice and steady when my back
foot is near the front fins, and trims real nice. If I get my back
foot further back it does get squirrelly, but in a really good way. Turns nice and quickly, still very controllable.

Not a computer generated shape. I ended up throwing it out, the foam was waaay too soft, and the rocker was waaay too flat. It was good practice though.

squirrelly can be good! I put a cut down set of futures vectors for the side bites and a 6" flexi center on mine when I want it to get loose…

the best thing though, is the trim you mentioned, that is the main thing I seem to respond to on mine!

Oak Foils Dyna-Glyde Stubby (The Pickle)

6’0" x 22" x 3.35"

White Hot EPS. Epoxy Resin. Subtle Channels. Blinding fluorescent green airbrush. Shortboard rocker. Flat deck.

thanks heaps guys for the photos !!

i love a stubby board…

hopefully my next one will be done in a few months ?

"...any MORE  , please ?? " *

cheers

ben

* said oliver twist ...."please sir i want some more "

[img_assist|nid=1065632|title=6'3'' volan|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=427][img_assist|nid=1068149|title=stub|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=427][img_assist|nid=1068150|title=.|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=344][img_assist|nid=1065630|title=6'3'' volan|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=640|height=427]loved reading through all the old posts on this thread and thought it was destined for a return, so here are some of my stub=esque type shapes that have been working quite well. The first one is more retro with alot more volume, beak nose and a vee bottom whilst the other is abit more sleak, lower rails and has a single to double concave. everyone who has rode it say it goes pretty well. both are 6’3’’ s by about 22

Here is my stubbie sub-5 footer.  4'11" - 21 1/2 wide - 2 3/4 thick quad fin.  Its for a 16 y/o ripper who weights 130lbs. 

I like it.  Nice label on the bottom so no one will misunderstand.  Do you have any idea the volume of foam? 

...WILL he ever ride it as a SINGLE fin , if you put a fin box in it , i wonder ??

i'd love to see photos / footage of THAT , if so ?!

.... cheers for posting that , it's been a long time between resurrections of this here thread

ben