the " stubbie " photo thread...

5’6 “The Twerp”

beauty !!!

let us know how it rides , eh ?!

cheers mate !

ben

Just spent 10 mins checking out all these pics!!. I haven’t glassed my windsurfer/stubbie, but i do have a 6’6’’ kneeboard blank that i have now decided to turn into a 6’5’’ stubbie. Im thinking 16’‘nose x 22"wide 4 ‘’ ahead of centre x 16’’ tail x thick. Diamond tail, probably around 8 or 9’’ pod. Just have to get a big guy tri out of the way!!. For everyday surfing in knee to a bit overhead.

Hi Ben, all this talk about the stubbie boards got me excited so I glued up a blank this weekend. I’m shooting for something around 5-10 to 6’ and about 21". I have 3" of foam now so it’s going to be a short wide and thick one. I pulled a photo of the old boards MP used to ride off the morning of the earth site and drew up a shape. It’ll be a home depot EPS/balsa compsand.

Bernie posted some photos today and there’s a couple of shots showing a board with a bunch of bricks on it. That’s the blank.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=314515;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=10363655

Hope to have time to work on it next month, but we have 3 others in the queue before this one gets any serious attention. Will keep you guys posted.

That’s a sweet looking board. How long, wide and thick is it?

6’0" x 22 1/2" x THICK.

Quote:

Hi Ben, all this talk about the stubbie boards got me excited so I glued up a blank this weekend. I’m shooting for something around 5-10 to 6’ and about 21". I have 3" of foam now so it’s going to be a short wide and thick one. I pulled a photo of the old boards MP used to ride off the morning of the earth site and drew up a shape. It’ll be a home depot EPS/balsa compsand.

good on you mate !

I await the process photos …

I hope it will have a flat bottom , yes ?

cheers

ben

Im almost finished making up the template for my stubbie. I narrowed mine down a bit. 16n x 21 wide + 2’’ x 15t. It will still be fairly thick though, and im going for a pointyish nose, as pointy as a 16’’ nose can get!.

Hi Ben, I got some shots of the stubbie I’m making. Had sometime to get work done while Bernie is in Chicago. It’s 3" thick in the middle and just under 2" at the tail. I decided to put the first rail bands on before I start shaping the deck. I’m going with 4 layers of 1/8 Balsa and 1/8 cork for the rails. Once I have the top on, I’ll finish adding the rail bands. The bottom is 2 layers of 1/16" balsa. The inner layer runs from nose to tail and the outer is in a vee. I’ll do the same on the top, but maybe add a redwood center strip for a false stringer. I also included a shot of the 7’3" I’m making for our Aloha United Way fund raising auction.

…i LIKE it !

thanks for the photos henry , and let us know / keep us posted how it goes , eh ? [any chance of some watershots of you surfing it later , mate ?]

cheers

ben

Ben this is long over due. These were taken after I added 2 side boxes. I rode it as a single for a while, but it felt way too old school. I figured that adding the 2 side fins would help it turn harder. This fin setup is as a twin with a small trailer. I’ll probably try it with a big center with 2 small sidebites next.

SharkC: that board looks unreal.

-J

nice , henry !!

are they ‘probox’ sideys ??

would you like some runners to try with a bigger back fin ?

[that is still one of my favourite setups on short , wide stubbies ]

cheers

ben

Here’s my slightly oversized Stubbie.

6’4" x 21&1/2" x 2&5/8"

SouthCoast DT slider. Running GX side fins and either a 7.5" Island or Greenough 8" 4A centre.

Goes unreal.

[/url]

Thanks Greg,

Still trying to get the hang of posting photos. There should have been a shot of the deck as well. I’ll try to add it now.

good on ya mate

what are the nose tail and pod [tip to tip] measurements on that , please ?

and how much nose and tail rocker ? [got a profile photo , please ??]

cheers

ben

…real oz stubbies are fun …

Both the nose and the tail are 16"s.

Sorry about the vague looking shot.