the " stubbie " photo thread...

dansan can fill in info about these, I'm helping him post pics until his medication wears off...

Greg: not sure on the volume but I tried to keep as much foam as possible troughout the deck

Chip: im sure I can get some photos as soon as a swell comes through.  I cant wait for it to be riden.  wish I could surf it, but think 205lbs may be a bit much.

mike,

thank-you so much..i should be able to figure it out(how to post this week)..

the pain, and thus the med haze will be ending..

anyway..

aqua logo- pearson arrow  shaper dane perlee(see one california day, etc)

moon/spoon fish...6.6 x 25 x 3 1/4

was originally gonna just be a fish/tail...went with moontail, center box..

right now it has tiny sidebites(from glenn rainbow fin co), and a 12" spoon fin (from thalia surf shop)

and it is  great in this setup, but also works great as a bonzer3...

i'm thinking of having glenn make a center fin like the bonzer3 sides so i can try it as

wannabee finless board

red logo- pearson arrow shaper dane perlee

mote stubbie 7.0 x 23 x 3 1/8

originally gonna be a my "thruster" board,

but works awesome as a mini-simmons or a fish with keels,

a quad, a single with a 9.25" true ames skip frye flex fin, mr twin w/ trailer,

even had it as a six shooter ala mr. ace...but it works best as  2+1..8.0 rfc painted glass center and 2 fcs small sides

this(and my 7.6..still back in santa cruz..yes..steiny, motif..you can ride it...just see brian nunes..)

is my travel board....all i need is it .. a bag-o-fins ...some tasty waves...and a cool buzz... and i'm fine.

again thank-you mike d.   it took so long to type this..my wifey spell/grammar checked for me.....

said a dog coulda done better..

.oh yeah..well i have an opposable thumb.

.just don't use it...that much..

[quote="$1"]

dansan can fill in info about these, I'm helping him post pics until his medication wears off...

[/quote]

Hi,

Does anyone have a rider report on the "Morning of the Earth" MP boards? I saw some in Byron over the weekend and they are beautiful (not cheap though!). just wondering how they go and if they are true to the original design.

Thanks.

i know..they're wicked expensive..

i'd rather go to greg(m3p), or bj(mp) for their boards..

or marc a....

[quote="$1"]

Hi,

Does anyone have a rider report on the "Morning of the Earth" MP boards? I saw some in Byron over the weekend and they are beautiful (not cheap though!). just wondering how they go and if they are true to the original design.

Thanks.

[/quote]

an acquaintance of mine , frankie , loved his !!

he was fortunate to pay $aus500 for his years ago before the retro fad pushed prices through the roof

only problem was .....the stupid fucker's drug problem [siiiiggghhhhh] meant he sold it way too cheap , to support his weakness . pity. if i'd had the money at the time i would have bought it off him , and given the money to his more sensible brother instead . such is life ....

very nice board zac !!!

"pacman" isn't really getting much attention since i got my new JD fish, but i think it might make a good stubbie. The pulled round tail ( 17 1/8" ) might work better with a single, rather than twin fins, which i found fun, but a bit too loose, and not enough drive.

I have an 8'' dolphin i think will work great, and the little sides might give just enough bite to keep it from spinning.

In no rush, but i only really need to route out the hole and install a box.

P.S, its 5'8'' x 17n x 21 just behind halfway x 17 1/8 tail x 3 thick.

good on ya , Mark !

can you square off the tail , round the corners a bit [so the pod comes down to around 6-7"  ?]

and install an 8 -10" [no bigger] fin box ?

I think you will find you could get away with a 7" fin [on a then less than 5'8" board] , too ?  but try the 8" fin by all means , first ...without any side bites , first . With a smaller back fin , you "may" enjoy the smaller side fins too, to stabilise it a bit and possibly give you a bit more 'bite' / thust off the bottom.

I always get STOKED when people give small wide single fins a go , I LOVE stubbies ! [hence , why I started this thread , all that time ago !]

... Beery , please show us / let us know your modifications , and how the board surfs,  then ! Hopefully , it will be an IMPROVEMENT , once you get it sussed , how to surf a short , wide single fin !  [with a 10" finbox , you could always set it up with 'Wildy's  " inline fin" setup , too, remember ...] 

cheers !

ben

plan B...

if you don't want to shorten the board any more ,

perhaps consider a foam insert [?do you still have the missing piece ?]  in the v shaped mini swallow , as that will extend the tail a bit , so you naturally have the narrower SQUARE tailed pod...

...that could work better , be quicker / easier , mate ?

do you have a router ?

and a finbox ?

ready ??

could be a really fun board for this time of year , and into summer even , depending on how well you / it will paddle . [ .... 3" thick [?!]  PLENTY of paddling float !!]

cheers

ben  

here mine been sitting in a wood shed for the last 35 odd years un ridden

hawke bros  surfboards osborne park wa

its 6’3 x 21 x3?

single flexi fin 8’5

pinched rails

displacement hull 

s deck

FANTASTIC, Darren !

are you from / in perth ?

that board is pretty similar in outline to M.P's  "  morning of the earth board"   which is , of course , now 41 years old ?! And yours is 7" bigger , and a couple wider , with the fin further forward than his. [ It seems hard to believe , eh , that morning of the earth was ALL those years ago now ? THAT original board of M.P.'s  is featured in Andrew Kidman's recent "into the ether" dvd ]

have you shown it to the Hawke brothers guy ?

he would have some stories to tell about it , I'm sure ...he has an amazingly good memory !

recently Ross from longboards scarborough here , took in an old board he is restoring , and Mr. Hawke regailed him with design details and stories. [The board was from 1962 !]

If you ARE here l , would LOVE to meet you and the board , ? maybe? get shots of you surfing it ?

cheers

ben chipper , scarborough west oz 6019

hi Ben yes i live in perth i have actually met you befor eat trigg im the guy with the speed square 4’6 surfboard

i havent really tried the board yet but if you wanna have a go and take some shots i’ll  be down at trigg saturday morning cheers darren 

cool !

the photos from that day are , I think , somewhere on my 'blog' [the link to which is under my 'signature' , here !]

your board is actually , of course , about 7" LONGER [and about 2" wider !] than M.P.'s  one,  but looks similar in rails , rocker , s-deck , and fin template  ??

I wonder if Mr. Hawke had seen the board / been at kirra , that fateful week / ? month ??

" i havent really tried the board yet but if you wanna have a go and take some shots i'll  be down at trigg saturday morning "

....awesome !

I'd LOVE to SEE the board [and maybe attempt surfing it??] ... what time do you reckon you'll hit it , Darren ?

[ give me a ring if ya like ...

ben chipper [ I am even in the phone book , old school style !  ha ]

cheers !

hi Darren !!

7.15am saturday NOW ...

I'm  just about to head to trigg ... 

Please keep an eye out for me ?

.... I'll be the shivering , skinny guy with the go pro , come over and bail me up , cos I'm pretty 'mr. magoo'ish , without me specs on

maaaaan ,

that offshore is HOWLING , eh ?

I hope there are still some WAVES around ??

hey if we don't catch up today

my brother is in town for a few days ,

he has a few of these type boards in his collection , and I KNOW he [and Ross at scarborough longboards shop / 'P-Co , here at Sways !] would be KEEN  as to see the board ,

so , like I say , feel free to give a ring eh ?

after 6pm I'm always home

cheers Darren !

ben chipper , scarbro'  [in the phone book]

[quote="$1"]

This is a Geoff McCoy shaped Keyo. Circa 1969.

zkeyo20shortie208.jpg

6' 1" x 20.5" x 15.5" nose x 14.5" tail, pod 8.75" corner to corner.

For the Oz connection this board is going to auction in the upcoming Mick Mock auction at Mona Vale (Sydney) on Oct 31.

platty.

[/quote]

hiya Darren ,

see what I was saying , about thinking this was 1969 / 70 era ?

'Platty's is fairly similar to yours too , eh ?

zzdazs2cdres.jpg

zezdazz1crdres.jpg

zzdazs3crdres.jpg

And , today...

zreskk4.jpg

Evidently , the board had been used at some stage in Victoria ...

Do any of you   'Vicco's here know what year they had stickers , like these ?? 

Probably the late 1960s , to very early seventies ? [As the board has been in a shed for 41 years , as I suspected , it turns out ! ]

zreskksticker.jpg

Thanks HEAPS  for the go on it , Darren !

...it was FUN  to surf an old s-deck / hull bottom [ that actually seemed to WORK okay !  ... at least , it went 'well' , compared to the 6'9 "Wilderness" that  I tried [for a year] in vain to make work ! ]

ahhh , yes !!

.... 'kenyan karpet' [ / ?kafta?] , eh ? INDEED ! 

I once rode my mate 'Quentin' / Rosco's "Basil Bugtussle"...bring back naming boards , I  say !]

zreskk3.jpg

[ I probably should get a shot of you or me holding the board horizontal too , eh , Darren ? Just to show the foil and rocker and s-deck , to compare to 'Platty's ]

And , I guess it is nearly a "lonboard' , compared to the 4'6" 'speedsquare' that you ride , eh ?!  ha!

zreskenyanandspeedsquare.jpg

I find it interesting to see how the water is flowing off the "belly" bottom  , as you paddle in this shot , eh ?!....

zreskenyankarpetdaz7.jpg

And , many thanks for taking some shots , too, Daz !! cheers , mate !

me , showing off my bald spot , and laughing at the dickhead brothers , doing what they do all the time ...[they were both so busy HASSLING each other , that they fell onto each other and blew the wave , bloody wankers ! ha]

zreskenyankarpet4.jpg

zreskenyankarpet2.jpg

zreskenyankarpet1.jpg

zreshullible.jpg

Darren , if you have the board at work on monday , we will try to visit you there ...do you work ? 9 to 5 , or thereabouts ? ['p.m.' [private message facility , here]  me your details if you like , so we can ring and check first that you will be there ?]

cheers !

ben

hi ben glad u had fun ,cant wait to give it a proper go ( thanks to the dickhead who dropped in on me causing me to hit my back on a board and now can hardly move on the first wave of trying out the board!!!) 

ben i will be down the beach (trigg) on wednesday morning , i think it would be better  than coming to my work as i will be busy with customers 

heres a single fin g& s

5’11 x 20 x 2 3/4

slight roll in the front of the board going in to a v in the tail

NO S deck 

diamond tail

7’ fin 

very easy to ride but still with a retro feel!

man , WHERE are you FINDING  these boards ??

they are in GREAT condition eh ?

is that one STRINGERLESS I wonder ?  maroon PIGMENT , as opposed to a TINT [so , maybe a covered by pigment stringer ?] 

wednesday would have to be early , as I'd have to be home by 8am , latest [unless youre going through to hawthorn before ? 9.30am , in which case could I bum a lift ? [stay longer taking photos?],

but

yes ,  if you COULD  be down there 6am onwards , I would LOVE to see and photograph THAT one being ridden [by you]

...same place as the other day ?

paddle up and say g'day again , in case I can't see you ??

cheers mate

ben

Hi Ben , not sure If i am going to make it down ,back is still out ,if not I’ll be down there on Sunday cheers darren 

let me know if you are by giving a ring early wednesday eh ?

[6am is not too early to ring ...as I'm up doing stretches by then , at the latest !]

cheers Darren !

ben