the " stubbie " photo thread...

hi yerba !

I’ve long since forgotten what thread that was on at surfer design site , but if you do a search under Gand S stubbie or “stubbies” , you may find it …

I think “dk” posted it , from memory .PM him , he may have it …it was an ebay item , so maybe even a search at forum.surfermag.com [design forum] under ‘ebay stubbie’ or sinilar might turn up something ?

…I hope this helps mate …good luck finding it !

ben

Josh’s stubbie outline foamy …

and …the “Wilderness Surfboards” link he sent me , too …thanks Josh !

http://www.wildernesssurfboards.com/stubbies.shtml

https://swaylocks7stage.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/1009880_a%20josh%20..er…%27stubbie%27…jpg

re: foamie stubbie.

I think Derek Hynd rode a simaler board too…

His son [ Lochlan’s] foamie , Derek Hynd minding it … Jeffrey’s Bay…

c. 1972 … Richie West , at “Sandspit”, on a “stubbie” …

Hey I had one of those in South Africa back in 78. I had a piece of nylon rope and a rugby sock used as a leash.

Hi Swaylockers,

I hope you can clear things about stubbies:

1- How big they can handle safely? (I ain’t seen Morning of the Earth yet);

2- Can they get longer for a heavier guy? (I’m 5’10" x 185lbs x 34 yrs old);

3- What type / size of fin they used on them?

4- Were these boards designed to what type / size of wave?

5- What type of rail profiles were used?

6- may I do a v-bottom board instead of a hulled one?

I’m thinking about a 6’ x 21" x 2 7/8", i’m a experienced surfer (21 yrs surfing), but i’m NOT in a good shape by now and can loose some weight to 175-180 lbs. Are these dimensions well suited to me?

Forgive my eventual dumb questions.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks for your attenttion.

J.

" I’m thinking about a 6’ x 21" x 2 7/8", i’m a experienced surfer (21 yrs surfing), but i’m NOT in a good shape by now and can loose some weight to 175-180 lbs. Are these dimensions well suited to me?"

hi Joni !

yes , that should be fine !

even better if you get yourself fit. You ‘could’ make the board thinner , too, at that width and length. ( Also …how tall are you , mate ?)

I like flat bottomed ones the best. But that’s just my preference. I am 45 years old , by the way.

I like having a finbox in them , too , so I can move the fin around , and play with different single fin templates in different surf .

cheers !

ben

Can i add this? i just have to do a little bit more shaping to one side near the tail, add some more foam where its missing, and get the thickness right.

6 ft long

19 3/4 wide right on halfway

nose and tail 15 inches

7 inch tail block.

hi augustfest !

do you have a sideon shot of that too, please ?

I’d like to see the rocker , and the thickness distribution [aka foil] …

cheers !

ben

p.s. - will you round the nose tip a little ?

Ha thats funny ben, i’ve never been able to make a good oktoberfest lager, and i’ve tried a few times!!. If i remember correctly, the nose rocker is around 3 and 1/2 (?), and tail is around 1 3/8. Its still fairly thick, about 3/4 inch still to come off, but, tomorrow, i’ll take a pick for ya. Yes, i will round off the nose a little. Oh and i’ll be trying cut laps on this board. looks like a lot of result for a little work.

Hi Chip, thanks for your care. I’m about 5’10" (1,80 m). Put a finbox on it is a good ideia, I’ll check the fin-making threads, quite worthy.

I’m afraid that such a small board couldn’t be able to float me and became hard to catch waves in small days or hard to paddle out in bigger days. I guess that a wider / thicker board would balance the short lenght. My previous board was 6’4" x 20 3/4" x 2 3/4" single. At the resources:http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=1327 - it floated me well, except in real mushy days.

Thanks again, mate!!

J.

Quote:

" I’m thinking about a 6’ x 21" x 2 7/8", i’m a experienced surfer (21 yrs surfing), but i’m NOT in a good shape by now and can loose some weight to 175-180 lbs. Are these dimensions well suited to me?"

at 175 - 180lbs , 5’10 , 34

if you are a good paddler ,

you could even go 6’2 x 19 3/4" x 2 1/2’ , something like that

a 15" nose , a 14" tail , bit of nose and tail rocker , maybe something like a 6-7" tailblock [‘pod’]

with a shorter board , like 5’10 , you may find you are doing later takeoffs to get into the wave . Which , if you are okay with that in winter waves , will be fine .

You may find it a bit harder to paddle in small, fat kind of summer conditions , though [a second , longer version could be god for summer ]

I’m just thinking of how my 5’7 stub goes in those conditions , when I write that … at 5’10 [just] and 154lbs , the 5’7 x 20 x 2 1/2 might for me be like the equivalent 6’ x 22 x 2 3/4 for your weight ? not sure …

BEERFAN , what height , weight , and age are you , and would you consider yourself fairly fit , because I think you and Joni possibly could have similar boards , yes ??

cheers

ben

Ben, im about 5 10?, and weigh about 80kgs and im 26. Im not the fittest surfer going around, but if the waves aren’t big, i can stay out for about 2 hours before i get buggered. In bigger waves ( for me that’s head high haha ), or days where the sets are rolling in non stop, i can usually stay out for about an hour, depending on current strength, and the waves im catching, if they’re good, i’ll stay longer. Although i just had nearly 2 weeks out of the water and im surprised at how much fitness you lose in such a short period. Im a bit worried about being able to ride my 6t stubbie also, as it is quite a small board compared to my minimal. Although it looks to have quite a lot of volume for a board that size. Fingers crossed anyway!

As a side note, when i was at MR’s shop the other day, i noticed his 6 4 twinnies and singles looked wide and meaty, enough that if i was to buy one, 6 4 would probably be the size i’d go for. They just look like they’d float me pretty well, and looked to have a good amount of volume.

Here’s the side on pic ben for rocker and foil. Lucky i had a quick measure, im down to 2 3/4!. Looks much thicker than that. Anyway, here they are. Had a pretty productive day yesterday, had a few hours spare, so i added a bead of resin to my egg ( for the hard edge on the tail rail ), and glued in a piece of foam for the stubbie. Cant believe the egg has come so far, just need to sand ( which could take a month the way im going hahaha ) and add the box, plugs, and leash plug. Im hoping to do the box and plugs in one go then sand flat, and do the plug. Can’t believe with a bit more spare time and effort i will have a board we’ve made ourselves!

Repair pics of the stubbie. Just used lam resin.

Couple of pics. I may have to get some spackle ( ? ) and fill a few small holes from the fin/mast boxes, but then should be ready to glass.

Pics didn’t work inline, bugger

Hope these come up. Will be painting the foam with some acrylic auto paint just for some colour.

P.S the rails had to be that shape, because thats what shape they were on the windsurfer, and i had to shape the opposite side to suit. Otherwise, i would’ve lost width. Hope they are o.k

More

hi beery !

just get some q-cell , mix a small amount with some [lam] resin, slowly fill those holes till it’s level , then masking tape over the top [to help it set level ]. spackle , no . okay ?

cheers

ben