Underground revival Update

Video was nice

5-10 x 19+

Humm… thanks!

Here is a shot from todays test.

Regarding Boy’s feedback on the rails.

My understanding is this-And I’m open to correction. That super hard edge gives more squirt and responce in small stuff.

But push the board beyond its limit while turning and it can let go, In smaller surf you can salvage things, lay back into a tailslide and regroup the board under your feet - looks pretty cool.

But in surf with more juice, if those rails let go… Its game over, almost no chance of getting that board back under control.

My understanding is that some of the tow boards are rounding the rails more at the tail area before the hard edge, giving more safety margin and predictability and smoothness in the big stuff, plus less chance of catastrophic slide out. Curves hold water like suction , hard edges slice and release it.

So super hard edges mean more drive and responce in smaller surf, more tuck means smoother oiled feel in bigger surf.

That’s just what I think that I know.

Yeah I’ll “up vote” that!

Good words and as always food for thought.

Here’s the lastest, both stubbies tested well.

The better was the single concave with less rocker

so far, I’m not in a hurry.

I lie, got the next blank order finalized.

For me thinking about these stubbies becomes

Mental fun and I can go to “my happy place”

and just zone out on it.

That’s the truth

Testing this end too.

Grovelling surf,   Been surfing test board 2.  

General conditions where I have been surfing recently - knee high to shoulder, weak and crumbly, really not good conditions.   But  the few waves that stood up with a half decent face showed that the board does perform, some nice lip hits and some powerful carves cutting back into the pocket, it feels like a good one.    Areas to possibly improve are harder rails at the tail area for a little more sharpness and projection, also perhaps flatten the rocker in the centre a little more to try and get more opportunities to get airborne (my air attempts are not great to say the least- but I’m good enough to know if there is potential for PEOPLE THAT CAN). 

While surfing I saw one of my customers there that ordered a custom - Intermediate surfer,  board was 6’6’’ x 20 3/4 x 2 1/2, (single concave all the way through with slight double through the fins) he asked me if I wanted to try it out, so I did.   Extremely fun board. caught waves incredibly easy, had all the stability, hold and responsivness that I was hoping for- makes me super stoked. This board was also flattened out in the middle area around the front foot from the natural rocker of the blank.        2.5’’ tail rocker- on the high side from a lot of discussions on sways, but it was  gliding along and turning super smoothly. A very slight concave ran all the way off the end of the tail (round tail)

Test board 2 is possibly sold (waiting for confirmation), I have a brand new board to test waiting in the rack, almost the same but with a few more little tweaks. So hopefully I can do a ride report on that asap.   Also testing some nylon material as an alternative to vector net (I hate working with vector net).  , but I will have to see if it will add any strength to the rails around the tail area- I want it to be functional, not just for show.

Come on Mattwho, give us some more details of the test rides, plus those blanks arriving, what are you going to be doing with those?

.LTM

Update photos Magoo #1

Rails working good.

Nice shots, really clear photography - the detail is incredible.

So groveller going well, made one of my own, but not for myself, will tweak outline template next time and pull the tail in a bit more.

Now on test board 3, rocker slightly more staged (it still has a curve even in the flattest part of the rocker but the curve is reduced more than before)

Too busy to surf these days (how sad is that) and only had one session on it.

Catches waves amazingly, picked off waves that I thought I had no chance in catching, however surf conditions were terrible, closing out and backing off and choppy as hell. So impossible to know how it will handle itself on a ridable wave- So will have to wait until I can try it out in decent surf to see how it surfs in the pocket,

Will update when I know more.

From the discussion on ‘scaled up’ boards, without wanting to take Hucks thread off topic so I will post here.

From an intermediate trying to surf challenging waves. This is what he said ‘My 6 4 isn’t doing it for me, I can’t catch waves on it, I tried a friends 6 7 and I could catch everything… But I want a board that I can still do good turns on’

Here is the result 6 6 x 20 1/2 x 2 1/2

Rocker fairly straight through the middle section with a bit of flip in the nose and tail to keep it loose and to deal with late drops.

LTM

I love how this discussion is in errors and bugs. BbbahahahahhahahaahhshahahahaaahhahAHAAH

Hey LTM!

sk8ment and other bottom feeders.

Unfortunatly, I am kinda stalled on my short boards.

Just got some blanks in and gonna redo last years Lit’l Sister with the new rocker.

Here is a sketch of the rail on Magoo ,  it is not exact, nor am I claiming it.

Just started doing it 34 years ago…

more good stuff

and more photos LTM,etc.!

I like this rail, I think you have a nice “release” built in to a soft rail, I want to try this or similar rail, I look at the water coming off the shore side of the board here, and think how a clean release edge would streamline things.

Got foam will mow…

Moving on with the “Litl Sis” redo.

More a rocker update.

And #2 rail shape.

5’-11" x 19 x as much as I can get!

“Boy” is @ 175#

And this board fills the gap between 

the step up and full gun…

Just have the bottom skined and put some touches on the nose rocker.

Photo: Top of the rack shows the rocker.

And outlined her.

Now I need some quiet time alone with her.

Keep the stoke!!!

Update

Lit’l Sis coming along.

Moved the volume around (flater deck)

We will have to see about the rails.

Just fat tucked edge going hard late.

My backyard update…

Enjoy

Todd Procters rider

Nick Rozsa killin it!

BLACK SHEEP from Salty Beards on Vimeo.

Rozsa, Incredible surfer- such skill and style.

Good stuff Mattwho,   Looks like you are keeping yourself busy!    Its all looking good!

More patience than me, after having to fix bumps and a few pesky air bubbles I havn’t gone back to the vector net. even just cutting the stuff irritates me.

Using just the white strand nylon net, do you still get lumps to sand out?

Testing this end on test board 3. Feels positive, very fast and turns well… BUT …   on post inspection the tail rocker came out 0.2 inches lower than planned (warped rocker stick after it got damp was the culprit-  now I’m using a metal one) …   Its a good board and I’d like to keep riding it- but just sold it, so test board 4 is on the way!

Test board 4 is basically the same again but with more flip in the nose and tail. Just a bit more- pretty much to make it how test board 3 should have been.   Already shaped, just needs laminating. 

Taking more numbers from my rockers, including…

Angle of Attack   - This is how far the nose rises up when the board is placed on the ground and pressure is placed at the back of the board where the back foot should go. This should hopefully start giving me an idea of the amount of tail kick in the rocker.

Flat floor rocker  - rocker numbers when the board is layed out on the floor, hopefully this will give an idea of  where the planing area is as it should gravitate towards the flattest section of rocker (I know weight will also play a part, so I’m not depending on these numbers in any way),  best done during shaping when its still light.

Currently I am not using these numbers in any way to shape boards, I’ll report back if I find out anything of interest. 

LTM

Thanks for

checking in!

“More patience than me, after having to fix bumps and a few pesky air bubbles I havn’t gone back to the vector net. even just cutting the stuff irritates me.

Using just the white strand nylon net, do you still get lumps to sand out?”

Photo log….

#1 scissors! https://shop.fiberglasshawaii.com/shop/tools/small-tools/stmsscfw008-8-featherweight-scissors

#2 Wax paper and spray glue.

Use the wax paper to mold after glue sets up.

“Angle of Attack   - This is how far the nose rises up when the board is placed on the ground and pressure is placed at the back of the board where the back foot should go. This should hopefully start giving me an idea of the amount of tail kick in the rocker.”

Extremely interesting!!

Just a little something to keep the wheels turning…

Shaper's comments

The Gherkin is a tweaked out version that originated from our Crumpet model (based on a squashed 70s single fin combined with high performance characteristics of the Panda - Single to double concave vee - and Fat Cat - Single Concave with slight double through the fin area - models, the DMS Crumpet is freakishly fun and fast.  Low set rails and bottom curve allows you to lay the board on rail or take to the air.  …Quad or thruster setup…) We have carved out some of the tail to increase hold through turns. The extra width will allow you to plane through flat sections with ease and still generate enough drive and speed to take to the air. This design combined with our Carbon Wrap technology will have you amped to surf, even on the smallest of days.

2015 Fun Board Test: DMS from Tracks Magazine on Vimeo.

Thanks for feeding the animals!

+1

I like the direction changes he makes on that board, very fluid, in spite of being extreme.  Interesting looking tail shape.  Like to see video of your son with that board and those conditions.  I keep looking at videos like this, and wondering how I could incorporate some of that into my personal boards, ha!  Thats the subject of another thread, but thought you might find that shape and surfing demo applicable and inspiring for the stuff you’re doing with your guys. 

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/2015-bc-thread-my-version-blendingcurvescom-nug-b-50-x-215#comment-517213

let me know what you think of this one…

“this thread” is where its at, bugger the general discussion…

Yew go the underground bugs and errors…

Good surfer.

I do feel the boards are very light.

I see no “Bogging” in the heel side or toe side.

Good practical shapes.

As to flex and rebound, eh, I’m out to lunch on that

Bradda.

Liking Barry’s current tread “torsional flex”.

As I have spent good money in that avenue.

And would love to get back to it.

Bust!

I mean it’s only time and money!

Both of which are becoming hard to find!

Best…

Matty

Eh! 

sk8ment as the

Joe Walsh song sez

“Well,Welcome to the Club”

I think this guy does some nice shit…

You can move your tread ( and leave a “shadow copy” on the existing forum) to the 

Bugs Club…

I do like your work. (see me after class on your finish)!

And, I did the same with the general forum.

I mean the “deaf ear”

unless you seek to spark a war.

More over (outside of a few guys with balls) we all gain little

outside of PM’s 'cuz most lack Cahones to openly state an opinon.

With Value or a comment at all.

Carry on with your work!

Let’s ADVANCE this sport…

Matty ;-{)=