Underground revival Update

Last years "Lit’l Sis…

Some OBServations…

Hugh push forward in paddle in Guns and quads!

Go figure…

The Eddie goes down

Anybody???

Watched the whole thing.

The early heats OMG!

Great set up surfing twice

fair and balanced…

Clyde #1!

Sure tripped on the weapons…

Step-up looking good Mattwho- great pic, did you take that?

How are the fins coming along?

Again not much news from this end, full with work, and getting good feedback- and that makes me happy.

Still riding test board 4, definately the best so far. Test board 5 will be interesting, although that will be when I get some spare time.

Nice to hear!

Kinda kicken back.

Really stoked on the “paddle in” big wave tech going on…

But not letting anything slip by.

Just reviewed the "Is the “Fish” a fully evolved design? Timeless? "…

And I am just amazed…

In short after Greenos “Vello” 

I went nuts on flex tails…

More on that and advancements in paddle in boards.

Open for discussion…

Good video, 

Flex, IMO this is why PU boards are still so popular these days when there are so many other materials out there that are stronger and longer lasting.   The thing with adding more flex is that you either have to glass the board extremely light and/or take the board down thinner, both have obvious disadvantages, perhpas keeping the foam but having a stringer that tapers off thinner to the tail and filling the void with foam.

Like that you could gain flex, keep the volume and maintain the same glassing strength (although obviously less stringer = less strength.

Perhaps too much thinking again.

LTM

A very soulful time for me

The future looks good…

Digesting the "feed"from the general forum.

Here’s a thought,

A surfboard has a few parts, yeah?

Those parts need to work together, yeah?

Music, simple, yeah

Listen up…

Watch the WHOLE thing, yeah?

trying to survive…

I’ll get by, no worries.

Customs for dollars.

The next are all jus’ rollin’ round in my head.

It’s what keeps me alive.

The “next”

in the mean time, I still dream, of things I’ll never do…

This “Kid” is insane, Big balls, veiw and you make the call!!!

That guy is nuts, I’m always amazed how there are not more deaths or injuries in big wave surfing, I guess a lot of it is due to the skill of jet ski presence, and just hard training.   

Just finished my new board. Shaped, glassed and sanded in just over a days work. This board is more intense, more rocker, more concave (with more bite at the rails) single to slight double to vee right off the back of the tail, deepest part of the concave 3-4 inches infront of the fins.   This time continuous rocker, I figured as there is a lot more going on with the contours I will keep the rocker as smooth as possible, it has more kick off the tail to try and keep things loose with the deeper concave. Thinner tail, but added volume in the middle for paddle power. Staying with the harder rails on this board (taking the hard edge 5-6 inches further up than standard) Lets see how this goes.   I am expecting it to either be crisp and accurate, or catchy. Lets hope it turns out to be the former.

I wanted it lighter, but with the US blue blank weighing in at 1.65kilos (wow!) post shaping I knew that it was going to be difficult to make a light board, it finally ended up at 2.9kilos, so not light but it was the best that I could do with the weight of the blank. Other blanks had been weigihng in at 1.25-1.4kilos (shaped), but for now I cant find any lighter blanks around here.

Any news from your end Mattwho?   How did those fins turn out?   I tried moulding fins once, and it didn’t go too well. hopefully with you doing it the proper way and foiling them you had better luck.

LTM

Gee thanks!!!

#1 swamped but catching up…

#2 Hate grinding fins!

Gonna suit up, tommorow weathers gonna be nice…

here is some dope on Mr K’ set up for Snapper…

Sorry I keep track of this silly shit…

Regarding your newest…

#1 hard edge in front of fin???

I have been going the other way!

Lost the “shaka” deal and got real.

I go forward only with boards built for power.

i.e. the edge is sensitive.

Wish you could get some “orange” or pink foam.

Also, and I have used 4 oz D “sized” cloth to help with wieght.

And it does help.

Wishing you the best luck!

Please keep up the news…

I was going to mention kellys banana board, looks like you beat me to it!
Looked nice on the steep sections, but linking those sections it looked terrible and forced. Stew kennedys board looked amazing in all aspects, Id love to hear fis rocker dims/concaves etc.

Interesting that we are going in opposite directions with the hard edges, I liked my previous board so much with those hard edges that I thought I’d stick with it, years ago I also had boards with super hard edges without problems, so perhaps back to the future?

Are you still doing the HIC gun rails? If so they have a biting Point further around the rail? So perhaps softer on the bottom edge will compliment that nicely?

Nice to hear that you are busy… Better than too quiet!

LTM

Interesting that we are going in opposite directions with the hard edges, I liked my previous board so much with those hard edges that I thought I’d stick with it, years ago I also had boards with super hard edges without problems, so perhaps back to the future?

No not really

Not to talk out my ass to much…

I was addressing my groveler and mini Sim killer boards.

Are you still doing the HIC gun rails? If so they have a biting Point further around the rail? So perhaps softer on the bottom edge will compliment that nicely?

Ah…

Let’s say I have been lucky

The new groveler (there are 2) are very good,  1,  5-9 other 6-0

I use the same blank for the step up and have been trying to keep some mass.

OMG made around  7 step ups all the same outline.

Progression thru  concave, rails and rockers.

The step up about 8” forward from center of front fin, is the zone where the rail is already hard.

Some my rails are kinda fatter versions of the HIC with good beveled tucked edge.

Again seeking volume

The latest?

Just changed the outline, POW!

Photo 1 old #7

Photo 2 Da new one.

Yeah, lucky my Boy and me…

Any updates in the mystery rocker loss @ glassing.

On the ones I bother it is about 1/8+.

Keep up the good work….

Good shots,

Interesting stuff.

Yes I’d agree rocker loss when glassing is probably just a smidge over 1/8 for a performance shspe, less for thicker shapes?

News trom here, new board thoroughly tested in fast hollow conditions, went well with a steep face,… But. … A wobble feeling on take off plus as soon as the wave lost its steepness the board just kind of died… No drive! Also felt slower than whst it should be. Too much rocker? I didn’t think so as nothing extreme there.

Back to the workshop in a haste, most of the little vee in the tail was resin (I had the foresight that perhaps I should make it removable rather than shaped into the blank just in case) Vee sanded off and some resin blended into the rail areas where the vee was, (you have to love uv catalyst) the result slight double concave where the vee was all perfectly blended in and impossible to see that changes had been made.

The result is a different board, now has drive, comes off the bottom and the top like a dream, now a great board. The lesson learned is to only have vee on low rockers. A good adventure.

Hey Mattwho,

Whats going on your end? Projects or news?

Been surfing the new test board more, I think I can say that its definately my best so far of all the boards described on errors and bugs, I really feel comfortable on this board, goes top to bottom really well. I’ll try and get some photos of it in action at some point soon.

Whats going on your end? Projects or news?

Been surfing the new test board more, I think I can say that its definately my best so far of all the boards described on errors and bugs, I really feel comfortable on this board, goes top to bottom really well. I’ll try and get some photos of it in action at some point soon.

Been busy enough,  here

Photo’s or just a ride report would be nice…

My backyard?

The new step up is so very killer!

The downside the next board up (Lit’l Sis) is very nice in the barrel

however on bottom turns she wants to bog…

I am thinking cant, Boy is thinking too far forward.

My regular thruster set up, yeah?

Thinkin’ I put forwards @4 deg, we’ll see…

Lots going on with my “last” go at PU and Poly and lightness.

“Yorky” got me fired up first.

Can’t say I didn’t see it coming

EPS I mean and  the weight deal…

Just fighting myself over the life of my boards.

One last go, we will see.

I’ll do the Vodoo…

Admire more http://www.thesurfboardproject.com/roger-hinds-interview/

EPS, It’s something that I always wanted to dabble in, but I think that I would not have the amount of patience required for the spackle step, although I will be extremely interested to hear how you get on- you never know it might inspire me to go for it.

My last board weighs in at 2.7kg 4+4 +4 so nice and light even with a thick hotcoat. I have stopped storing my squeegee in acetone which keeps it stiffer and definately helps strain more resin off durfing lamination- just have to be more careful for dry spots in the future. We will have to see how long the board lasts. Possible next step will be working with epoxy before eps? Who knows?

Lil Sis, I’m no expert with fin positions, but, as I understand it the industry has been moving in the direction of more cant, I started myself a number of years ago with 5-6 degrees on a mildly concave board, now I am somewhere around 8 degrees+ on more heavily concaved boards. As I understand less cant = more hold… more cant = easier initiation of turning.   Most of the performance boards that move through my workshop for repairs have around 7-10 degress of cant. How far up are the fins? I think that if the cant is only 4 degrees that would probably be the issue?.. there’s only one way to find out, and that is to rout and re-install?

Interested to hear more.

LTM

On the fin issue…

I’m not too worried, I made that board to handle 8 - 10 Rincon (a point break)

Not 4-6 beachbreak barrels.

So I am really bummed.

#1. Just not enough testing on the large wave jobs (Big and Lit’l sis)

#2. I have not given up hope for more late winter swells.

But things are swinging around to to South right now (here)

which could be a bonanza.

Going to do a coupla 8-8 HPLB’s.

And get going on the lightweight series.

Bust #1 they have stopped making D sized cloth, so I’m searching.

Do you use S cloth? 

Hate to bring it up…

Foam…

Figuring on using orange with “Powerline” stringer.

The local guys and dated vid

Any news?

No, have never used S-Cloth, I had been put off by hearing that it was more difficult to work with and that it was more suited to vacum bagging??   Powerline stringer, excited to hear more, although i can’t see myself being able to get my hands on one of those blanks here. Going to get my hands on some surfblanks Pink sometime soon, and cant wait to try that stuff out.

Made almost a replica 5’10’’ test board 5 for a good surfer to try out, its got the thumbs up especially in headhigh waves, in bigger waves it was reported that it could do with slightly more hold (conditions 6 foot +)   I was thinking about this thread and about the rails, and that for big conditions they could make the board a bit difficult to keep rail and surf smoothly???  So looks like once again possibly i need to reign things in very slightly next time.

A screenshot of it taken from a short video clip (Not me Surfing)

Any news?

No, have never used S-Cloth, I had been put off by hearing that it was more difficult to work with and that it was more suited to vacum bagging??   Powerline stringer, excited to hear more, although i can’t see myself being able to get my hands on one of those blanks here.

Out to lunch on the S cloth Ineed to look into it in depth. Couldn’t be any worse the D sized!

PM’d Barry S. The cloth has been renamed and is still around.

Going to get my hands on some surfblanks Pink sometime soon, and cant wait to try that stuff out.

Nice to hear!

Made almost a replica 5’10’’ test board 5 for a good surfer to try out, its got the thumbs up especially in headhigh waves, in bigger waves it was reported that it could do with slightly more hold (conditions 6 foot +)   I was thinking about this thread and about the rails, and that for big conditions they could make the board a bit difficult to keep rail and surf smoothly???  So looks like once again possibly i need to reign things in very slightly next time.

I’ll offer up a few photo’s of the rails on the new “step up” and this puppy is good.

Tucked, and where it gets going hard.