Underground revival Update

Good shots Mattwho, Looks like you are enjoying yourself.

That board being ridden hard, looks like its going well!

Busy this end as always, got a new stick, 6’0 x 19 x 2 3/8  slightly higher tail rocker, slightly lower entry, probably the smoothest rocker I have ever done, still untested, hopefully this week I’ll have it in the water.  

One more thing, the disappearing rocker during lamination… use UV catalyst, with that I have found that the rocker maintains its desired curve…

Great to hear

6’0 x 19 x 2 3/8  slightly higher tail rocker, slightly lower entry, probably the smoothest rocker I have ever done, still untested, hopefully this week I’ll have it in the water.  

Sounds alot like what has been learned, here. I mean the hard way!

The winner is the shape with low entry rocker with a slight kick in the tail.

19"? even my step ups @ 6-0 are around 20+", eh that’s So. Cal!

One more thing, the disappearing rocker during lamination… use UV catalyst, with that I have found that the rocker maintains its desired curve…

Very interesting… Do you use MEKP @ normal ratios?

I use UV with 2-5 drops and bake them later. The last time I checked I was lossing about 3/8" or so.

Guess I could save a dime losing the UV, but I really love the safety factos!

Best, eh, ride reports and more details…

Just using enough mekp to kick the resin under dark logos… but very very very little mekp… too much and the resin will turn the board very slightly off bright white.

The last board that I let kick with mekp while using uv catalyst I still had rocker distortion. Since kicking with the UV I am not getting rocker distortion… I guess thats due to the styrene not having time to evaporate?

kick in the shade I found sonetimes heat from the sun can cause the board to heat up too much and cause some gassing Especially around dark areas of carbon etc… when kicked well finish it off in the sun.

Also in the shade you have time to babysit the lam for a few minutes and address any issues like the odd bubble or laps at the nose trying to come away from the board.

With the hotcoat I have moved away from using any mekp… just make sure its kicked in the shade… in the sun straight away can give you pin air which is a pain in the …

In a really strange mood…

Ah, maybe a little background on

Eddie…

Be back soon…

Fish

Bite is still on!

However,

As strange as I get I never actually stop working on design.

It is nice to concentrate on fishing and forget all the B.S.

Lucky for me 

I can take time to digest rider feedback and think things over.

All the work in the step up has been so positive, as the waves have been spot on.

But nothing heavy, yet…

LTM,

My local conditions get crappy

Low energy, bumpy, or worse.

The boards I made for those conditions,

Which there was four, all different shapes, rockers and rails.

Here in a nut shell is what the hell I mean.

The rockers we know are on the spot

for juicy surf, however for those crappy conditions

the low entry rocker jobs win.

And to boot the soft rail or “Oxymoron rail” is a winner.

So, right now I am ordering foam.

6-0R and 6-4MB US Blanks.

(I saw on Instagram a US Blanks blub from your local)

Note: the 6-4MB stock rocker is good, you just have to project rocker for

The shorter board, great step up blank.

The 6-0R has been the “go to” for 5-10’s on down

I’m taking rocker out typically -1/4N & -1/4T

Still a bitchey twitch trying to maintain volume.

Think you are O.K. however, I like US Blanks and they’ll

Bend’ em to spec. no need to be a volume buyer.

That’s all for now, I’m out with the tide….

Had the fair share of lumpy, bumpy junk surf conditions here too, sometimes small sometimes bigger but nothing super clean and lined up here lately.

My newest personal board with the slightly lower entry rocker is nothing special, I’d say it doesn’t do anything amazing, but doesn’t do anything badly either. So, not a great board and not a bad board- just a bit… Meh.  Paddles in ok, but I wouldnt say that it paddles in better than the boards with higher entry rocker, which is what I was expecting.  I did change a few other little details on this board as well including the outline and the way the concaves were put in, but nothing too drastic.  Also I flipped the nose a little bit, but nothing at all extreme or out of the ordinary, the biggest faults ar that the nose almost tries to rise up a bit while paddling into a wave, hardly noticable but its there. Also going 12 o clock off bottom turns is not easy .   The contour is flat off the rear fin, kind of makes me want to tone down the tail rocker a bit and go back to putting a little vee in the tail- I find it easier to kick the tail rail rocker while addind vee as well., I had thought that the higher tail rocker would have been letting the board go vertical with ease, but on this one at least, no advantage is found.   This board had a smoother curve in the tail rocker with very little tail flip. 

Hows that step-up going?

LTM

Eh!

Good to see your still on it…

Had a few brews and will probably say something stupid,

so forgive, eh?

Had the fair share of lumpy, bumpy junk surf conditions here too, sometimes small sometimes bigger but nothing super clean and lined up here lately.

Yeah, read that!

Just to be clear, the low rocker jobs are for crappy “juiceless” flat faced stuff.

My newest personal board with the slightly lower entry rocker is nothing special, I’d say it doesn’t do anything amazing, but doesn’t do anything badly either. So, not a great board and not a bad board- just a bit… Meh.  Paddles in ok, but I wouldnt say that it paddles in better than the boards with higher entry rocker, which is what I was expecting.

Well…

2 me paddle power is more volume than rocker, ah as long as your rocker is pure. And by that I mean

You don’t use “island” rocker in general…

The rockers that we are working with on are quite relevant, as is the case with the new step up.

Just got back the board I made at the beginning of this tread. Holy crap!

A speedster but whoa, what old time rocker!

Or more importantly….

A perception, perhaps…

Rocker, let’s look at this.

We, robbed, collaborated and came to our own conclusions.

And of course, boom!

We are spot onto the “current” scene…

I have been surfing for over 50 yrs.

And as for my shaping mentors?

Larry Felker/Dale Velzy

Greg Liddle/George Greenough

Strange, yeah?

Unlimited hull speed.

Or “Hulls” I rode 'em, not easy!

But Damn fast and low rocker’d devils.

That said.

To me (like I am somebody) rocker is relevant to local conditions.

Ah, however with the advent of the WSL  we have a set standard of what rocker works in overall conditions.

Hows that step-up going?

Fucking thing is on fire!!!

More on that later…

I did change a few other little details on this board as well including the outline and the way the concaves were put in, but nothing too drastic.  Also I flipped the nose a little bit, but nothing at all extreme or out of the ordinary, the biggest faults are that the nose almost tries to rise up a bit while paddling into a wave, hardly noticeable but it’s there. Also going 12 o clock off bottom turns is not easy.   The contour is flat off the rear fin, kind of makes me want to tone down the tail rocker a bit and go back to putting a little vee in the tail- I find it easier to kick the tail rail rocker while addind vee as well., I had thought that the higher tail rocker would have been letting the board go vertical with ease, but on this one at least, no advantage is found.   This board had a smoother curve in the tail rocker with very little tail flip.

This video may help…

Matt (a young charger) is much respected by me….

Yep, I always put the countours in after the rocker has been shaped in, although sometimes with adding vee I leave a little bit of rocker in reserve in the tail and put that in last, I feel I have a bit more control like that, plus it helped with making it easier and more accurate to introduce a slight rocker break in the rail rocker around the fin area.

The next projet is to refine the way the concave fits with the rocker- really going to concentrate hard on this, I already have yet another new board to test, it hasn’t even been in the water yet, but I am already thinking about the next one.

Getting some decent feedback… this shot taken last week.

Nice wave, WHHHACK!!!

Wow f#ck*ng nice!!!

LTM what ever you are doing…

It works!

Absolutely Killer proof…

Still fishin’

and the shit is begining to stack up in my shop…

Be back soon!

Here’s the boat, Aloha!

So very sorry for my lack of enthusiasm.

But age is a bitch, hey I’m 60 something!

It really boils down to truths that I acknowledge as leaving my curriculum,

But not just yet!

1st is Surfing

2nd is fishing

Last shaping

I live by a dear friend’s advice…

And “Live for the moment”

Here is some “sun burned” projects.

#1 Long board classic

#2 a new “Magoo”

Just a slight pulling on the nose.

A lower rocker job, like the successful beta board.

More to come as the fishing dies out.

Any action brother or are the fish biting to hard?

Thanks Brother Sk8ment!

Doing some work on a LB that I have been wanting to do for years.

The force behind me is what is next

A redo of the successful “Magoo 1”

Kept same rocker, which is low.

Pulled the nose in a bit.

Gonna keep the rest.

Trying to get my son to shape most of it…

More to come

Aloha!

Looks nice, I have such planer envy…

Had a few major issues with the school board due to the vacuum bag drammas, delam city and me having to fix it. I had already done a full set of drill, fill and vacuum with the deck, now I have to do it on the bottom;(

Ya have to do something right, ya gotta do it yourself, should of done it myself the first time.

This time I’m gunna tape the whole bottom so any over spill doesnt have to be sanded off.

My side cut thing has been surfing epic

Won the most functional award for the vissla upcycle contest for the board made out of rubbish with the parabolic rails.

And, I snapped the nose off my new hald shaped blank today cause the wind blew it over. May have shape a funky ryan burch nose on it… That and the tomo sciphi tail… hahahah

Wicked shit, mate!!!

Joining in here with the lower rocker for my current build, going wider flatter and shorter 5 9 x 19 1/2 x 2 5/16 deepish single to double with a touch of vee off the back fin. Lowish entry and just a touch under 2inches of tail rocker- super lightweight. Fingers crossed it will be a good one